How many to set? (Duck Meat Plans)

@KikiDeAnime when I first had the idea that I’d like to raise meat birds, I had really only cooked with and ate chicken breast and tenderloins. I started buying whole chickens 1) so I could learn how to break them down as needed, and 2) to force myself to learn to eat every part of the bird. Now we’ve eaten chicken liver, gizzards, hearts, and feet. I had never cooked whole legs or even wings before so it was good to learn before diving in. We don’t waste around here. It took trial and error to learn to prepare the dark meat in a way that the family enjoyed.

I say this to help ensure you like the food you want to raise and because you mentioned not knowing how to cook duck. Duck skin is extremely fatty and has some different techniques required compared to poultry.

I bought a vacuum sealer to package meat for more long term storage as well.

You can usually find duck at Asian grocery stores. Aldi should start carrying duck soon due to the holidays, and other big grocery chains may start carrying duck soon as well.
Very good advice. Agreed 100%

Just a note on processing the ducks: be sure you don't do it while they're molting. Ducks are much tougher to pluck than chickens as it is, you don't want to have to pluck double the normal amount lol.

Back
Top Bottom