How much Apple cider vinegar?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by thecreekhouse, Dec 2, 2018.

1. thecreekhouse

thecreekhouse Songster

Feb 26, 2015
    East Tennessee
    I water my six pullets in a 2 quart rubber bowl. I freshen with clean water daily. How much Apple cider vinegar should I be adding to their water and how often? Thanks!

2. birdlegs7075

birdlegs7075 Chirping

Oct 18, 2018
    East Tennessee
    I use 2 tablespoons per gallon and give it to them a couple days every 1-1.5 weeks.

3. Suzi18

Suzi18 Free Ranging

Apr 4, 2017
    Sandusky Ohio
    I use 1 TBSP per gallon. Make sure it has "the mother" in it. I use Braggs as it's fairly easy to find. I use it year round except on very hot days. I always keep a plastic waterer filled with ACV water and a metal one with plain water. They seem to prefer the ACV

Compost King and 123RedBeard like this.
  4. There is absolutely no scientific evidence or any other type of evidence for that matter that Apple Cider Vinegar is any help to your chickens. However there is a lot of evidence that ACV keeps the makers of ACV in the chips. Since is likely the only one maker of ACV that has traces of MOTHER in it I strongly suspect that those are the folks who are scamming you. I will sat this, if there were a big old gob of "MOTHER" floating around in the next bottle of ACV that you purchase that 99% of the people who purchased it would go back to their grocery store and demand a refund.

Vinegar is not made by or from the mother. Vinegar is produced when an alcoholic beverage like red, white, or rice wine, or else white distilled spirits, and/or fermented malt liquor is exposed to oxygen.

10,000 gallons of 30 proof or 15% apple flavored alcohol will produce 30,000 gallons of ACV with an acid content of 5% which is what you find in the store. The mother in vinegar is an indication that the wine in the cast or barrel was infected by a bacteria culture while it was aging.

imnukensc and Justso like this.
  5. Suzi18

Suzi18 Free Ranging

Apr 4, 2017
    Sandusky Ohio
    Well thanks for sharing your opinion. The bacteria in the culture is exactly why I buy it.

EggWalrus likes this.
  6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would make sure to offer a bowl without it in. Some will not drink enough with it in the water. I too don't see the point of it. :confused:

chickens really likes this.
  7. birdlegs7075

birdlegs7075 Chirping

Oct 18, 2018
    East Tennessee
    I mix it and drink it myself occasionally, scaled up at 2 tablespoons per gallon, the same I give my chickens. Seems like it works on my gut. Do I have any scientific proof? No, that's only because I flushed it down the toilet, lol.

If the bacteria in ACV doesn't do something, then fermented foods are a waste too and don't get me started on the fermented food mafias. grrr.

casportpony, EggWalrus and Suzi18 like this.
  8. 9hensnarooster

9hensnarooster In the Brooder

Dec 1, 2018
    What is the ACV used for?

9. birdlegs7075

birdlegs7075 Chirping

Oct 18, 2018
    East Tennessee
    Justso likes this.
  10. Suzi18

Suzi18 Free Ranging

Apr 4, 2017
    Sandusky Ohio
    Actually mine prefer the ACV water. I always have ACV and plain water available to them and they go through the ACV water quicker than the plain.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Aceoky and 123RedBeard like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: