How much bigger are nigerian dwarf goats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 28, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    How much bigger are nigerian dwarf goats from pygmy goats? i really wanted two pygmies, but i can't find them nearby anywhere!! maybe i can convince my parents to let me do goat 4h and i could find myself some....but anyways, how much bigger are the nigerian dwarfs? they seem bigger but i'm not too sure.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    It really depends on the breeding/genetics of the goats themselves.

My Nigis are under 21 inches at the withers. Often, Pygmies will be closer to 15 inches at the withers. Both breeds can be taller - it helps to see their parents or get from a good, responsible breeder that breeds true.

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Some run about the same size depending on genetics and they are a smaller type goat and are good for milking where the Pygmy isnt basically used for milking and Pygmys have a harder time kidding also unlike Nigerians. Thats why I dont have Pygmys anymore. I do have Nigis and love them.

4. Evermore Ranch

Evermore Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    NW Alabama
    they are slightly bigger but still very small. We have both and the nigi's can come in sooo many more colors ad can even have blue eyes. Plus they are dairy goats and produce wonderful milk for drinking or cheese and even soaps

5. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    The standards have them the same size. I'd guess Nigis to be lighter because of their builds, but as for height they run about the same.

6. Evermore Ranch

Evermore Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    NW Alabama
    my nigi's are about 18-20" tall

7. lilhill

lilhill Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Alabama
    My nigis are also about 18-20" tall.

8. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i chose nigies because they don't have the birthing troubles pygmies do and they come in an array of colors, they are slightly larger than a pygmy but still small [​IMG]

9. Jolly Acres

Jolly Acres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Paris Twp., OH.
    Quote:right on, [​IMG]

I have both.. both make great, friendly pets.

10. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    The Nigerians are suppose to be 22inches at the withers.

I have Nigerians and one pygmy wehter , they are all about the same size. The pygmy is built more like a deer, while the Nigerians are more stocky, seems to me to be the major structural difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by