?? How much calcium suplements is a good amount?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by The Critter Place, Dec 8, 2011.

1. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Recently one of my Coturnix hens went through what I thought to be egg bound.
    Another member here had a similar experience, and it was said that too much calcium can cause egg bound problems too.
    Due to the egg being too hard to pass.

So how does one know just how much to give ? And how often?

I save egg shells, bake and grind them fro my quail. Also offer a little oyster shell in their bath.
    But I dont know if I give too much or not enough, and I don't want my hen or any of them to have a problem again.

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

I have oyster shell set out for my quail seperatly at all time and have never had a problem.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2 on the oyster shell. If it comes "pullet sized" you need to crush it. Some feed stores sell it ground small already. You can also offer cuttle bone, like the kind you offer your parrots. My quail like both for calcium, they will go for either of these. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I use the pullet sized oyster shells in the dust bath. I have been reusing egg shells with no problems as of yet.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would keep the oyster/egg shells in a separate dish so they can get it as-needed. If you are feeding a layer/egg ration feed you probably don't need any extra calcium.

6. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi Everyone!
    Thank you all for your replies.

I have been feeding about the same as Quaillady. And still using the GBS and some finch seed , worms , and greens as treats.

I sprinkle it in the bath, and some with the food here and there and crushed egg shell a few times a week, but very small amounts.

I was just wondering if there were suggested rations being that one quail has had problems.

I will try putting a dish of it in with them too and see how that goes.

7. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I mix ground up oyster shell in with my feed a couple times every week.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  8. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Anything over 3% is wasteful. It does depend on what your primary feed source is, what other things you feed (Like calcium rich greens), sand/dust that contains calcium and even the amount of calcium dissolved in their drinking water. What works fine on my farm, may not work for someone else.

Just don't over saturate/feed oyster shell in lieu of good quality GBS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by