?? How much calcium suplements is a good amount?

The Critter Place

Songster
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
Tucson, Az.
Recently one of my Coturnix hens went through what I thought to be egg bound.
Another member here had a similar experience, and it was said that too much calcium can cause egg bound problems too.
Due to the egg being too hard to pass.

So how does one know just how much to give ? And how often?

I save egg shells, bake and grind them fro my quail. Also offer a little oyster shell in their bath.
But I dont know if I give too much or not enough, and I don't want my hen or any of them to have a problem again.

X2 on the oyster shell. If it comes "pullet sized" you need to crush it. Some feed stores sell it ground small already. You can also offer cuttle bone, like the kind you offer your parrots. My quail like both for calcium, they will go for either of these.
smile.png

Last edited:
I would keep the oyster/egg shells in a separate dish so they can get it as-needed. If you are feeding a layer/egg ration feed you probably don't need any extra calcium.

Hi Everyone!
Thank you all for your replies.

I have been feeding about the same as Quaillady. And still using the GBS and some finch seed , worms , and greens as treats.

I sprinkle it in the bath, and some with the food here and there and crushed egg shell a few times a week, but very small amounts.

I was just wondering if there were suggested rations being that one quail has had problems.

I will try putting a dish of it in with them too and see how that goes.

Anything over 3% is wasteful. It does depend on what your primary feed source is, what other things you feed (Like calcium rich greens), sand/dust that contains calcium and even the amount of calcium dissolved in their drinking water. What works fine on my farm, may not work for someone else.

Just don't over saturate/feed oyster shell in lieu of good quality GBS.

Back
Top Bottom