How much charcoal to medicate my hens?

chesterjet

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
I need some help badly from the experts. I think my hens ingested some moldy food. One of them is not doing well. Not using her left leg and greenish watery poop. SHe is still eating, drinking and fighting! I am going to treat her with Activated Charcoal. These are 280mg capsules. Will be treating all my 5 hens just in case. How much and what is the best way to give it to them? I am also feeding them protein, yogurt and going light on the carbs. Please any input appreciated.

I am NOT an expert in this area, but won't the charcoal cause them to vomit? And if so, is that what you want to have happen considering you are feeding them as well?

Hopefully someone with some specific experience with moldy food will reply.

Activated charcoal is only useful at the time of toxic ingestion. If your bird is doing poorly then she is way past the time when charcoal would be helpful. Charcoal binds with the toxin in the GI system and prevents it from being absorbed, thereby preventing poisoning. Your bird is already "poisoned" so using it now is like closing the barn door after the horse has gotten out. Charcoal does not cause vomiting- syrup of ipecac and H2O2 are used to cause vomiting, but never use them in chickens.

What are the signs your bird is showing?

Well, she started out limping about 7 days ago. Then she stopped using her left leg. She is laying down most of the time now. She does try to scratch with her bad leg. She does eat and drink when I offer her food. Poop is watery green and her tail is down. Comb is normal red and upright. I am keeping her with best buddy in a dog creat in my basement.
I don't know what to do. I am spending most of my days worrying bout my 5 chickens. The other four just seem down and not moving crazy around the yard as usual. I don't want to loose them.

I am Just about convinced my hens got into moldy food. Evidence of hens being around compost pile, their feeder also has wet food on the bottom, standing water all over 2 acres where they roam. I am thinking the best way is to try to starve the fungus so I am only feeding them meat and yogurt with vitamin B crushed in. I started doing a molasses flush, but have changed to an epson salt flush. I don't want to treat the fungus to any sugar or carbs. I hate seeing my hens like this. It has been non stop raining for what feels for ever, well... Ok at least 15 days. But any ways, if I am doing something wrong with what I am doing now, please chime in. Any suggestions?

CMV, I am sorry. I am not very good describing everything. My hens are two year old. Cherry is a RIR. They all stopped laying about two weeks ago. They were all giving us an egg a day and just stopped. All the other girls look ok. Just a little slow from what I am used to. Cherry did ok today. I took her out of the basement to walk around the yard with the other hens and she perked up a little. When she got tired I brought her in. She ate some yogurt, ground beef mixed with a touch of coconut oil (antifungal) and egg yolk today, but her crop feels empty. I am also giving her epson salts to try to flush her out. Poop is still watery, but noticed today some light green rather than drk green and a few chunks in there. I don't know if that means anything. I also massaged her leg today hoping that would help. This is he 8th day of her illness. :(

I would check them for external parasites and probably worm them if they haven't been wormed lately.

Back
Top Bottom