How much damage do newly hatched chicks do knocking about in bator?

I tired the egg carton method based on reading about it in this forum and have had great success. As I write this 7 out of 13 are hatched and 3 more are pipped. I left one egg on the floor and it is getting knocked all around. There is stream on here where someone used a flat piece of styromfoam and cut out oval holes so they could lay the eggs on there sides and keep them form rolling around. That sound like the best way and I will try it that way next time. Research this section I remember they had a picture as well.

Well, here's my take on it. I don't like them being knocked around by the hatched chicks. I also don't like the carton method either. I have had less than stellar results with it. some chicks do pip the wrong end, Also, if they just pip a little bit low on the shell, say midway, there is still a good chance that they can get a mouthful of goop and choke out. It is also a very difficult position for them to climb up out of. In nature, ther are hatched on their sides, but mother hen, and the depressed shape of the nest sort of hold them in place as they hatch.

I use a method similar to the styrofoam holders that are mentioned in another thread. I use soft plastic foam strips that are used as insulation between glass blocks. They are 16" long, 3" wide, and 3/8" thick. I simply cut oval shapes into them with a utility knife and can fit 9 bantams or 7 LF on each strip. The eggs fit nicely on and into the grooves. The chicks hatch as close to natural as possible without any disturbance from the chicks. This plastic/foam is washable, flexible, reusable, and doesn't flake like styrofoam, so the chicks can't pick at it.

These strips are available at any Lowe's or Home Depot, and cost about a buck each. I am certain that I am getting as good a hatch as possible, and have no hatching dilemas. Here's a couple of pics of what they look like. Pick up a few and try them. Thank me later, lol.
19063_000_3095.jpg
19063_000_3096.jpg
[/img]

Now, that's pretty cool, Millebantam. I may try that on my next hatch. I just put them in egg cartons. Problem is, I couldn't put the cover on the hatching tray because the eggs set too high now, so now I'm kinda stressing about that. But, we'll see what happens........

Paula

Thanks, and now that you mention it, the carton method also places the eggs higher and dangerously close to the heating elements on styrobators. The little dudes can fry an eyeball if they get too close. Another thing is the placement of the carton in the styrobators. Once I had a carton placed where it looked harmless enough, but one of the eggs was directly under the thermostat wafer. He nearly died in the shell because he didn't have enough clearance to flip the cap off. And another thing to consider when hatching in a still air type styrobator. The eggs get lifted enough to actually be incubating at a much higher temp than you think they are, due to thermal layering of the air. There can be a difference of 6 to 7 degrees in temps in a still air bator from the floor of it to the top of it. If you change the height of the eggs without compensating for the temp increase, you could be frying them. Just a few things to consider before setting eggs in a carton.

Quote:
I love this idea! I just hatched my first batch. 29 of 36 so far and we are on day 22. I was so concerned about the abuse the eggs were getting I opended the bator:eek: I did it every 8 hours during the day on 19 and 20. It was closed for 12 hours over night. I removed the hatched chicks to the brooder and kept adding wet paper towels to up the humidity again. I think these strips would be an awesome way to keep the eggs ok and not open the bator.
big_smile.png

That little styro strip makes more sense to me than any other thing I have ever had anyone suggest! I think it is brilliant!
thumbsup.gif

Believe I will rig me up one of those.

I agree, brilliant idea. I havent liked them rolling around, but was less than satisfied with the carton method. Great great idea, Ill do it for my hatch this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom