How much Diatomaceous Earth per 50 lbs. of feed?

Iamaqte

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Riegelsville, Pa
Hi Everyone! I have asked a million questions (so it seems) about Diatomaceous Earth. Well I ordered 10 lbs. of the stuff and WOW!! The flies are gone, the lice are gone, and the worms seem to be going away since my birds sound 75% BETTER!! YAY!!!

Anywho - I just bought a 50 pound bag through ebay. I want to work this into their everyday diet. I feed my ducks, geese, chickens, & sometimes the goats all together. I tried separating them, but they just think for some reason that the other animsl food is better so i mix it all up. One scoop of goat, One scoop of layer, Once Scoop of duck pellets, & One Scoop of Crack Corn. I mixed the DE in the layer, since it is finer and it mixed better.. Just a few TBSPs in the scoop. Now my question is.. How much DE per 50 pound bag of feed? Should I mix it into all the feeds? I want to make sure all the animals get enough.

I read before a large coffee can filled per 50 pound bag. Is that accurate? Should I put a coffee can filled in each 50 pound bag of feed? Including the crack corn?

Can I feed a little to my rabbits? Can i mix a coffee can filled in thier 50 pd bag.

Does that also apply to dogs and cats?

I just want to make sure I am doing it right so i dont waste any of it!

One more thing - Read in one of my previous questions about taking a flower sifter and sifting the DE around to elminate flies.. How much should I sift around the barn yard? I only put some around where the goats eat (cause the flies were bad there) and under the chicken coop and the flies are gone! YAY.. but there are some other areas i would like to do and if using the flower sifter works.. i just want to make sure I use enough and not too much.

Thanks again for all ur help!

Well- I don't know the amount!!!!...but 2% of 50# is 1#.

My dogs get 1 TBsp with their dinner
My cats get 1 tsp with their night snack (some canned cat food...as it gets them to come home at night).

My chickens free range and didn't eat enough feed, so I mix it into their treats at ~1tsp per chicken.

You can feed it to all animals

Here's a good website...this ranch uses DE on all their animals...so they have a lot of info and are the second place I know that also just puts it out free choice.
From http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html
Daily recommended food grade diatomaceous earth feeding rates:

Kittens - 1/2 teaspoon
Cats - 1 teaspoon
Puppies - 1/2 to 1 tsp.
Dogs under 35 lbs. - 1 teaspoon
Dogs over 35 lbs. - 1 tablespoon
Dogs over 100 lbs. - 2 tablespoons
Cattle, Dairy Cows, & Hogs - 2% of dry feed ration
Chickens - 5% in feed
Goats & Sheep - 2% in grain
Horses - 1/2 to 1 cup in daily ration
*Humans - 1 heaping tablespoon daily

Internal feeding of food grade diatomaceous earth helps eliminate most internal worms, though possibly not all. It’s also excellent when fed daily to keep down fly loads, since food grade diatomaceous earth is eliminated from the body, exactly the way it went in, it helps reduce the manure odor and kills flies that come in contact with it.

Mix in animal feed or grain and/or feed free choice. Our goats, fowl, and dogs eat it free choice.

I am the one that mentions the four sifter...I just put a thin layer where the animals dust or like to "hang out". You'll know to use more if you see any increase in bugs!

Sandra​

Patti.... Ijust looked at your pictures of your home....beautiful. I too love it here on our farm, which is in its early stages too.

The DE will make a huge difference. I just dont understand why more places dont carry it. And when you ask about it, they look at you like you are crazy.

Know that when you start giving it to your creatures they might turn their noses up to it for a while. My two goats did, but now they have decided it is okay. The chickens haven't missed a beat. I need to start feeding it to the dogs and cats.

Tink:)

Thanks Sandra for the info... So u think that taking a pound of DE and mixing it in each 50 pd bag I have, it should work then right?

Where do u store your DE? I want to keep in the barn, close to my animal food.. but not sure what to keep it in. Any ideas?

My chickens free range all day - but still eat a decent amount of feed, so i think they should get plenty of DE.

Thanks Tink for the compliments! I love my place, but it can be challenging.. that is for sure.

I wish more places sold DE too! I went to a couple places and they all looked at me cross eyed too. Then I went to tractor supply and i talked to a lady who said she has been all over and nobody had it and it would be easiest just to order it online.

I am paying $32.00 for shipping alone! uh!

Hey... Check out www.custommilling.com

I called ORDER NOW - Call toll free: 1-877-348-3048
I paid $36 total.....not sure where they are....but they might get you a better price.

I store mine in my shed. I have it sitting in a plastic tub so that it won't get moisture from the ground. I would start out 1/2 coffee can per #50 first. I mixed mine a little heavy and the goats didn't like it at first.
Tink:)

Patti,

I keep our 50 # bag of DE in a galvanized can, outdoors. I just moved it to my storage area since we got the run finished.
P9073834.jpg

Dawn

I bought my bag of DE off ebay too. I bought it yesterday and it already today
big_smile.png
I just was not able to find it near me. I spread it all over my coop ..

www.custommilling.com definitely has the best price on this stuff but only if you live east of the Mississippi--shipping is very expensive.
I ended up buying from www.gardenharvestsupply.com 20 lbs for $22 but with shipping =$35 (only a little cheaper than custom milling).
Anyone live in the Rocky Mountains or west that knows of a good dealer?

Back
Top Bottom