How much did you pay for your Thanksgiving Bird

Ms. Lewis Rich :

I just looked up the price at our local Turkey farm broad breasted white turkeys and they do run loose in a fenced field 2.25 a lb.

That is what the Farm I get mine processed charges for BBwhite, BBbronze are 2.75/ lb. Mine cost $5 for processing, not gonna try to figure how much food they ate. (so I guess I could say mine cost $5.00) I did spend enough to get the FREE turkey coupon from the supermarket, that will go to the Church where Boyscouts meet.

All the supermarkets here have turkeys from .19 for store brand frozen to 1.49 fro fresh Butterball.​

Quote:
Tofu Turkey
hu.gif
yippiechickie.gif
. That would have been my second choice if I hadn't raised my own.
th.gif

Here is a picture of my dinner to be, since he ate lots of vegetables, could he be considered a VEGATARIAN turkey???
HPIM0529.jpg

Last edited:
I just helped my g friend process 6 out of her 10 turkeys last weekend. I ended up taking home a 26 pound hen for $44. I think I might be trading some of our pig we raised for a portion of the turkey.

I was completely shocked that they could charge $180.00 for a turkey. I had no idea they could get that much and according to the website they claim to run out early, so people apparently do pay that much for them. I think its crazy myself.

Last edited:
my supermarket turkey is usually free, you get it free if you've spent som much money over the previous weeks. I dont use it right away though, it just goes into the freezer and we have the holiday at my grandmothers. They do the same thing with Easter ham but last Easter i choose to take a discount on a spiral cut in stead of a free regualr one.

http://www.localharvest.org/store/item.jsp?id=6516

this
shows what some of them are going for around here if you don't want supermarket turkeys. I need at least a 30lb turkey for dinner or I have to cook 2 small ones.
Its also my daughter's birthday that day so I expect alot of people over for dinner.
I called around this week and the cheapest I could find at any of the local or not so local farms in my state was $6.50 lb.

we will more than likely get a butterball or one like it because our budget is so tight... we came close to raising our own.. but then didnt ..

Quote:
Those $100 to $180 turkeys are likely being SHIPPED to you. That is why they cost so much-- shipping a fresh or frozen turkey is expensive!! Also, you are clicking on the "store" part of the localharvest.com website, which is all shipped items.

Make sure you look up www.localharvest.com and punch in YOUR zip code to look for farms in your area that you can pick up from. They will not be nearly that much, I guarantee it. Also, a traditional turkey (pastured) won't cost you that much.

If you are looking for a heritage bird, they are expensive because they take TWICE as long to grow. Therefore TWICE the price. Those of you feeding chickens quickly understand how much feed this is. My turkeys go through 100 lbs of feed a week. I"ll barely make back my costs in feed selling them for Thanksgiving. Plus Mr. Fox cost me a heck of a lot when he got 9 of my turkeys in September.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom