How much did you spend on your DIY coop?

We just bought all the material to build our coop and my husband thought it would cost less, so I'm just curious if we overspent or if it was a normal amount($550ish). We didn't have any access to free/cheap lumber so we had to buy it all..
I'm building a DIY now. 4' x 6'. My materials cost $750, cedar siding and some upgrades with hinges and flooring.

I'm building a DIY now. 4' x 6'. My materials cost $750, cedar siding and some upgrades with hinges and flooring.
Congrats!:celebrate guess it all depends on your building design but being myself a GC lumber and other building materials are pricey and seem to climb every week (with quality going down on milled lumber too much I'm afraid) . I don't think $750 is too much and most likely little things will pop up before the chicks move in that will add to that. Over all the coop is an investment in your property and with that built right is worth the cost and if it's built as a family project will be a good memory to look back on. Enjoy:clap

20180805_201548[1].jpg

20180809_063944[1].jpg

I think mine cost around 250 to 350 using as much hardware / lumber / steel roof we had on hand and buying the rest. I had to buy a few 2 x 4's and the T1-11 siding, latches, the hardware cloth, some nails and screws, and the vinyl flooring and glue. I had most of the 2 x 4's and 2 x 3's, the plywood for the floor, the steel for roof, the hinges, and some screws and nails, from previous projects. mine is 4 x 5 raised coop with 5 x 12 run (including the 4 x 5 under the coop). This project did not include materials i bought for the pvc feeders and waterer and other supplies. Thats a whole different story.

Last edited:
View attachment 1545084
View attachment 1545083

I think mine cost around 250 to 350 using as much hardware / lumber / steel roof we had on hand and buying the rest. I had to buy a few 2 x 4's and the T1-11 siding, latches, the hardware cloth, some nails and screws, and the vinyl flooring and glue. I had most of the 2 x 4's and 2 x 3's, the plywood for the floor, the steel for roof, the hinges, and some screws and nails, from previous projects. mine is 4 x 5 raised coop with 5 x 12 run (including the 4 x 5 under the coop). This project did not include materials i bought for the pvc feeders and waterer and other supplies. Thats a whole different story.
Very nice!

There are usually free wood and pallets on Craigslist in this part of town, though I'm too lazy to go and pick them up..... but I think they are usually gone within the hour anyway so it's best to keep an eye on the listing to see if any are available and scoop them up at the first chance! I never knew wood cost soo much until I got chickens!

Reading this thread I dont feel too bad about how much I spent.Im currently building my gals coop as I write this.
I wanted to build early spring but luckily I didnt because I got a great deal, locally, on materials. Its 4×8(32 sq ft). 4'10" at the front and 4 ft in the rear.

Got some 2x4s for framing my floor, doorway and roof for 2 bucks a piece. Bought 5 osb sheets and 8 siding sheets for $10 and $12 each, respectfully. I got about 8 2x6s from HD and split them iin half to double up my framing materials number. Made my door out of repurposed wood and a couple new 1×4s. Repurposed a raised planter box as for nesting boxes(see if it works out)as well as trim...

A few nick-nacks(henches, vents, screws, staples etc.) later, I spent a total of apprx $240-$250 on this unfinished project. Dont plan on spending more. Will post pics when complete. Thanks for reading guys!

View attachment 1545084
View attachment 1545083

Damn nice coop!

EF21A304-6B57-4281-8541-51324FC4CDEF.jpeg Ours is 8’ x 12’ And is split so I can walk into a “room” where I store feed and gather the eggs from the back of 4 nesting boxes. The run is irregular shaped for now, used a 100’ roll of fencing.
I used pallet wood, fixture crates, 4x4’s, 2x4’s, plywood that I got from behind a local factory that was expanding.
I have $150 in metal roofing, $100 in additional wood, and $30 in stains. We were shooting for a look like it has been there for years.
I added a porch roof where that 2x3 is running across the front, used small tree branch’s about 4” thick for support in 4 places.

We are still living with our temporary coops - plan to build a large walk in when we can. The main one was built from Ikea futons - at a cost (on sale) of €9 each - that did the bulk of the wood other than the uprights. Also had to buy the roof sheet and tar paper and hardware cloth and a few screws after the Ikea ones in the box ran out :lau. I think we worked out it came in at around €50 - so USD60 approximately!

The new walk in coop will go over the concrete base with a further 1m / 3ft over hang at the back.
4d78ba99906a5385382baa0dc09b5629.jpg

c4111fce41883a3f72625d10f5020d5e.jpg

Waiting for the nesting boxes to be built on to hang off the back and now has another roosting bar (need to get a 3rd in too once the nesting basket (not in picture) is moved).
46eee076d2a970bfbd4ecded5df06eb5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom