How much did you spend on your DIY coop?

Pics
We just bought all the material to build our coop and my husband thought it would cost less, so I'm just curious if we overspent or if it was a normal amount($550ish). We didn't have any access to free/cheap lumber so we had to buy it all..

What size coop are you going for? Remember a diy will typically be much better construction then a prefab.

I have 2 prefab that cost about $200 a piece but only house 3-5 bantams or 1 maybe 2 standard despite claiming 4-6 chickens. We also have a shed coop, 8x8 shed that cost $1100. But or first coop probably cost less then $300 as most of it was repurposed wood and we only had to buy a few things to make it all work. That one was about a 4x8 walking.

What size coop are you going for? Remember a diy will typically be much better construction then a prefab.

I have 2 prefab that cost about $200 a piece but only house 3-5 bantams or 1 maybe 2 standard despite claiming 4-6 chickens. We also have a shed coop, 8x8 shed that cost $1100. But or first coop probably cost less then $300 as most of it was repurposed wood and we only had to buy a few things to make it all work. That one was about a 4x8 walking.
We're shooting for a 12 sq. ft. coop with a 42 sq. ft. run.

Ok you said 12sq foot? and 6x6 coop. If your going for a 6x6 foot coop (36sq ft) I'm assuming walk in style than yes i would estimate $500+ for materials at least. But your not going to find something that big for under a 1000 possibly 2000 prefab and you'd still have to build your run too.

my current 4x8 with 8x12 attached covered run cost around 200-250 but i also had access to the 2x3s i framed it with.
Also if i needed to buy 4 2x4s, I would just buy one 2x12 and rip it to size on the table saw. I found it to be a bit more work but often more cost efficient. I used a 4x8 pallet as my base and framed off of it as well which helped in the saving
Didnt keep a tally but over the course of the entire build, that little bit of saving added up

Ok you said 12sq foot? and 6x6 coop. If your going for a 6x6 foot coop (36sq ft) I'm assuming walk in style than yes i would estimate $500+ for materials at least. But your not going to find something that big for under a 1000 possibly 2000 prefab and you'd still have to build your run too.
Huh! I don't know why I said 12 sq. ft., must've been a typo, we're definitely doing a 6x6 ft./36 sq. ft. coop. with a 42 sq. ft. run.

Back
Top Bottom