How much time and money did it take to build a your chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by steph1200, Apr 23, 2018.

1. steph1200

steph1200 Chirping

Sep 4, 2016
    Oxnard
    How much was all the supplies? Was it hard/ is it worth it? Just want to hear about everyone's experience. and if you don't mind leaving plans of your chicken coop and pictures. just doing some research before i build my chicken coop, but still have a long way to go. thank you :)

2. SavKel&RynKel

SavKel&RynKel Free Ranging

Mar 16, 2018
    Bay Area, California
    My Coop
    So i don't have pictures yet as it isn't finished, but ours is 7x3 floor space raised 2 feet, wall height is 3.5-4 feet (sloped roof). We used 2x4s for the frame and plywood for the walls. 5 sheets of plywood is 100 to 150 bucks, probably 50 dollars of 2x4s (we re-used a lot of old scrap ones) and a box of nails/screws (price varies, another thing we had in garage) you can buy tin roofing for another 30 (we're still debating our roof) and a can of paint (varies)
    So in short... 300 dollars and pretty darn easy?
    There are a zillion plans on this site, but we should have ours uploaded in the near-ish... Future.

steph1200 likes this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    My coop can be seen in the interview in my signature. It took us 10 weekends to build. I can't remember the cost. Actually, I prefer not to remember how much we spent! But, I will tell you that the thermopane windows and doors were free. And some of the louvered vents were almost free. I shopped at my town mall (aka town dump) for doors and windows, and habitat for humanity for louvered vents and other materials.

steph1200 likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I read here and planned(I'm a drafter by trade) for 6 months before building My Coop.
    Luckily, I had a large shed already that I used part of for the coop.
    Took me about 3 months to build (including cleaning out the coop shed and two others, and the garage) to make room for coop build....but I was recovering and working mighty slow the first few weeks, just a couple hours a day. Cost was about $550 for coop and $300 for run.

steph1200 likes this.
  5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    It probably took a month off & on. DH built it 25 years ago. Cost about $500 at the time. The price of lumber was up because of rebuilding after the Gulf War at the time. No plans, just built an 8 by 8 square & put roosts & nesting boxes inside. The only thing I still don't like is that it goes from 8 foot high in the front to 4 in the back, as DH was saving on materials. It has worked well for 25 years. Used sample windows my FIL had at he time. They could be slightly larger. We were going to build a new bigger one this year, as I do believe the foundation is starting to rot. Not happening, because our cabin lost heating this year, so other projects taking precedence!

6. h c hennery

h c hennery Chirping

Jul 23, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Our build took 10 weeks last summer from start to finish, working only on weekends ~ about 15 days total.

Not counting exotic items like the automatic door opener and wheel kit, we probably spent $850 to $900:

Lumber, $250
    Paint, $70
    Roofing panels / screws / closure strips, $165
    Hardware cloth, $125
    Hardware & misc. (screws, washers, rafter ties, hinges, acrylic sheets for windows, etc.), $250ish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: