How much do u pay 4 a 50 lb.bag of ORGANIC FEED?

chickie<3

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Long Island, NY
How much do u pay 4 a 50 lb.bag of ORGANIC FEED? I wasn't giving them organic feed because it was too much money...but now I found a place near by that sells a 50 lb. bag for $16.00..I think that is a great price.

That is a great price. Around here, it's about $26 a bag...which is why my girls don't get it!
wink.png

That is a fabulous price! Around 25 bucks around here. Is this a "sale" price or ongoing? Sounds a bit too good to be true- I would check the expiration date, just in case. But, if all looks good- Lucky You!!! Lucky chickens!

Thanks for confirming the great price...I bought it from a poultry farm by where my husband grew up...They have been there forever...my husband remembered going there when he was little..over 40 years ago...they said they always sold only organic feed and fed their chickens organic feed...they never raised their prices once the organic thing became popular...they just kept doing what they always did... It's a small family owed farm here on LOng Island..So happy I found them!!

I pay about $30 for 50 pounds of certified organic feed.

chickie<3 :

Thanks for confirming the great price...I bought it from a poultry farm by where my husband grew up...It's a small family owed farm here on LOng Island..So happy I found them!!

Given that it's a small farm, is it possible that the food is from sources grown with organic methods but that the food isn't certified organic? The reason I say that is that there is a small mill close to me that sells food from organically grown sources and their price is the same. Getting certified as organic is quite a procedure and would add cost to the feed as a result.

I have no problems with purchasing a chicken food from local sources and grown using organic methods and may switch to this at some point but YMMV.​

There are a lot of costs tacked onto bagged feed; bagging, warehousing, distribution, and retail markup.

I had 16% certified organic feed delivered from the mill this morning for $404 a ton. The equivalent cost would be $10.10 per 50lb bag.

If you live in the grain belt it may pay to call around to the mills and seek out the best price, even if your only option is to buy bagged feed.

I used to pay around $16 or so for a fairly decent organic feed.

Know I make my own... and pay around $16 and buy in bulk twice a year.. However for me my own "mix" gets me exactly what I want and allows me to feed the 20% protein I desire..

ON

Back
Top Bottom