How Much Do You Charge for Eggs?

Lilorp14

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2014
VA
Hello! I'm considering investing in organic/soy-free/non-gmo feed for my chickens so I can charge more for my eggs. I live near D.C so there is definetly a market :lol:. The only problem is, I don't know how much to charge. How much do you all charge for your organic and/or soy-free and/or non-gmo fed eggs?:thumbsup

Last edited:
Hello! I'm considering investing in organic/soy-free/non-gmo feed for my chickens so I can charge more for my eggs. I live near D.C so there is definetly a market :lol:. The only problem is, I don't know how much to charge. How much do you all charge for your organic and/or soy-free and/or non-gmo fed eggs?
As much as you can get.
Start high, you can always drop them later or have a 'sale'.
Look at the prices in your local stores, or other egg sellers nearby, with the same profile(organic and/or soy-free and/or non-gmo), because that is what you are competing with.

It really depends on where you live, the amount of competition you have, and how into 'non-gmo,organic, ect...' people are in your area. In CA they get 6$, here in south eastern KY you won't get more than 3$ for truly large sized eggs (regardless of what you feed them), with average medium/large eggs going for $1.50 to $2.00 a dozen. Starting with a really high price without doing your homework will earn you zero customers and possibly damage your reputation. Starting low to gain exposure and getting people to try your eggs will get your foot in the door. Minor increases over a year will get you to where you want to be with your price per dozen, if your market can bear it. Make sure to set your market position as competitive, not on what you feel your glorious babies are worth because after all they are just chicken eggs.

Well, I think my eggs cost me about $12/dozen, and when I have excess, i give them away. :lau But seriously, before I had my own chickens, I was buying mine at Fred Meyer. I wanted eggs from truly free range chickens, so I paid about $6/dozen for the happy egg company: https://happyegg.co/ But, I did notice that while I picked up my dozen eggs, all the other ladies in the store were grabbing the $2 cartons.

Organic, etc. eggs in grocery stores around here are over $7/dozen. Roadside eggs are never less than $5/dozen, and it's now not uncommon to see them priced at $7/dozen.

I guess a lot depends on your market or potential customers and what they will spend. I live on an island, and we have a lot of high-end vacationers and second home owners coming in from the *big city*. I'll have surplus eggs in the spring, and I plan on selling my eggs for $7/dozen. If they don't sell, then I'll adjust the price. (House down the road sells for $5/dozen.)

As a side note: I sold ten 4-oz jars of homemade fig jam this weekend along the roadside at $5/jar. If the jam sells for $5/jar, my eggs are definitely worth $7/doz. :)

Back
Top Bottom