How much do you charge per dozen? And location

$5 a dozen currently. I'm in east TN. Birds are fed non GMO feed, and moved every few days to fresh pasture.
While selling eggs is a small % of my income, I think it's really important to not undercut people who are trying to make a living from their birds. I go with the general rule of thumb to charge $1-$2 more than the average grocery store eggs in your area.

low end Walmart eggs in my area are currently about $3.80.

I am finally getting lots of eggs again and will be selling them locally in the neighborhood. I feed non gmo feeds, and I have a large yard for my chickens fenced in. Not exactly “free range” but close enough for me. I’m wondering how much to charge per dozen this year. Egg prices are crazy but that doesn’t mean I want to price gouge too. This varies with location so please share with me your locations and price per dozen! Thanks!
I just raised my price to $4 a doz, which is a bargain, last week at the store, eggs were $6 and up $8.50 for freerange, organic. Feed has gone up a great deal, so I asked each of my customers if they would mind increasing, they responded that they would pay me extra even if I did not ask. they are all friends so did not want to gouge.

I just raised my price to $4 a doz, which is a bargain, last week at the store, eggs were $6 and up $8.50 for freerange, organic. Feed has gone up a great deal, so I asked each of my customers if they would mind increasing, they responded that they would pay me extra even if I did not ask. they are all friends so did not want to gouge.
Forgot to mention my eggs are from freerange and organic.

I was having the same problem, but I found a solution. Unless my friends and family schedule in advance, there just aren't any "free" eggs available. If you want to be on the schedule you have to pay for it. All of the eggs in my house at any given time have a designated purpose. (Even if that purpose is feeding me and my family :) )

All of my regular customers pre-pay for their eggs as a convenience to them, and they drop by and pickup from my porch on a pre-arranged schedule. I let them know when their credit runs out. $4-5 a dozen. North Alabama. I only have a few customers right now, and they're all friends from church - that makes things easier.
Wow, that is so smart and very creative. Some of my regular also pree pay, gving me $20 or 30 ahead, then i can just send eggs home with one of their kids, works for me. we all live on 20 acres, I just hang the eggs on the gate, they pick up on the way home from work . Either way it works just fine.

I can understand that argument you are making on the prices coming under store prices, but the rest of your post about ‘ to allow us to continue to love what we do’, lack of proper nutrition by only foraging, and assuming malnutrition because a person isn’t charging a premium in order to pay for feed, and implying neglect in care makes an assumption toward all hobbyists who adore their flocks and care for them just as much as the folks who sell commercially on a small scale.
I charge $3/dz and often give eggs away to family and friends; I assure you my small flock is treated better than some people treat their children. Why do I sell cheap or give eggs for free? Because it makes people happy to be able to even get eggs when store shelves are bare and all staples are double in price. If I sell enough to pay for one bag of feed then I am satisfied, but if not I don’t mind..it’s a hobby not a career.
Sorry to come down on you— it’s not personal, and I respect your opinion, but I disagree with the blanket assumptions implying inferiority toward those whom you see as competition.
Thank you, I am on the same page. I do not want to make a living from selling eggs, I am retired and have chickens for my own health. I eat eggs once or twice a day. Plus, I jsut love raising chickens. I sell to frienda and neighbors who rave all the time about my eggs and fully appreciate how much more healthy and happy my hens are. Also, it has been proven thru research that fresh, free range or just in large pens do produce eggs that ae higher in several vitamins. It is rediculous that someone selling 10 or more doz eggs amonth will compete with the person making a living from it. Stupid thinking.

Im in Ky and I recently raised my price to 5 dollars. I only have 9 girls and had to slow down the demand. I have one customer that sells cakes and swears by my girls eggs.

I'm not a grocery store. My girls are very happy and well cared for. That's what they are paying for. Not just a dozen eggs.
yes, yes, yes

Back
Top Bottom