How much do you pay for feed??

Pics
In Wisconsin, USA - I’m paying $19-20 for a 50lb. bag of 16% pro. layer pellets, and $21-22 for a 50lb. bag of 18% pro. non-medicated starter-grower crumble.
I just started fermenting my feed, however, so that should cut back on the total amount they go through. ultimately saving money. we shall see.
It didn’t make a very big dent in my feed bill, but I only have between 6 and 8 chickens at a time.

I just bought feed here in Ohio at our local Rural King. I paid $19.99 for All Flock 18% Pelletized Feed 50 pound bag, $14.99 for a 50 pound bag of Scratch Grain Feed 8% and Layer Pellets were $12.99 for a 50 pound bag. My ducks get a scoop of each in two different places in rubber TSC black bowls. My ducks have all been healthy. Flock consists of 8 hens and 4 drakes.

Last edited:
I have been paying $26.99 for flock raiser at TSC and they eat so much feed it gets expensive. Is this alot for feed? How much do you pay?
TIA!
I currently have 38 chickens, I beileve, I pay about $70-100 a month on feed, I mix all flock feed, layer pellets, and scratch together in a large container. I feed them about 6-8 cups in the morning and late afternoon, I don't free feed them since more food would be going to the doves and wild birds. All my chickens free range and forage for bugs. I also feed them table scraps, left overs, and eggs that I forget to collect or when I find a new nest. Every weekend is clean out the fridge/freezer and fed to the chickens. The weekend is also when we clean our tortoise enclosure and the old hay is given to the chickens so they can eat all the bugs it gathers. I also use grease from bacon or burgers to make homemade suet bars, that I store in the freezer as an extra treat and source of protein for them.

My personal opinion is if you are able to let your chickens free range and don't free feed it will encourage them to forage. If I listened to my chickens, who act like they are starving all the time, I would be paying a ridiculous amount on feed. Here are two of my girls who follow me when I look for eggs in hopes they can knock an egg out of my hands.
20220902_162901.jpg

Just paid $16.58 for 50# bag of 18% Grower feed here in northern Minnesota.

Still mowing the grass in the yard, saving all the grass clippings in the collection bins, and dumping all those grass clippings into the chicken run. The chickens scratch and peck through the grass clippings looking for bugs to eat, plus they eat some of the clippings. My whole chicken run was converted into a compost system, so the chickens are digging through the litter in the run all day long. My feed consumption goes down by about half in the summer months.

Also feed all kinds of kitchen scraps and leftovers to the birds mainly as treats. They love it. Cuts down on the feed cost a little. Every bit counts as feed is about 50% higher this year compared to a year or so ago.

Back
Top Bottom