How much do you pay for feed??

Pics
I have been getting most of my feed from Rural King. We are in Ohio and sometimes I can get it for as low as 12 dollars and something. Most of the time though it is at least 17 dollars or more. The price has gone up. I buy scratch feed, layer feed and also All Flock Raiser. They have been eating mostly this for the past two years and they are all healthy with no problems at all. When ducklings I buy Dumor Ducking Feed from TSC for a good start to their lives. This has worked for me to have healthy ducks. I eat two of their eggs fried daily and never gotten sick from them so they must be eating alright.

For anyone buying none GMO, you DO know that's bullshit right? Genetically engineered feed is many time healthier, costs less to grow, better against pests, hardier for certain climates, and make feeding the entire world possible.
For farmers who save seed, it is not sustainable. Free saved seed is more cost effective than something needed to be bought every year.

Also, could you point me to a few references that show it is “many times healthier?” Thanks so much. Wonder what nutrients I’ve been missing in organic food? :idunno

For farmers who save seed, it is not sustainable. Free saved seed is more cost effective than something needed to be bought every year.

Also, could you point me to a few references that show it is “many times healthier?” Thanks so much. Wonder what nutrients I’ve been missing in organic food? :idunno
I think we should feed our flock whatever works best for us whether it be cost or location. As long as our birds are healthy that is what is most important. My ducks never see the bags so they don't know if it is the best in the world or not and they really don't seem to even care as long as it is food. Some people have to have all organic food when they go to the grocery store. I could never afford that nor was I concerned about it and so far I have been healthy as ever and Blessed by it. Just my two cents worth folks. Have a great day.

I personally do not care about whether a feed is Non-GMO, Organic or has a flashy label. I do not mind paying for quality, but I am not overpaying for a pretty label and someone's marketing degree. My father was the manager of marketing for one the largest pet food companies in the US so I am fully aware of how the word and phrasing games are played. I monitor my birds health, take notes on any considerable differences with different feeds and have researched my birds nutrient needs rather extensively. My top two choices based purely on my birds health while on the feed are Purina Flock Raiser and Kalmbach Non-GMO Flock Maker. Kalmbach is my first choice, but I can only order it online and Purina is my second, but it's available locally. I was paying $28.99 for a 50lb of Purina's Flock Raiser Crumbles at Tractor Supply, but I have switched back to Kalmbach's Non-GMO Flock Maker Pellets which are $34.99 for a 50lb bag. I go through about 75lbs of feed a week for a total of (6x) 50lb bags a month which bring it to around $209.94 for my monthly feed bill on Kalmbach. I still think Purina is a great feed option and my birds have always done well on it, but every time I have switched back to Kalmbach everyone seems to molt more smoothly, their feathers are notably softer/shinier and are overall they are healthier looking birds. When I can visually see a big difference in my birds health I'm okay with the extra $36 even if I have to have it shipped in, but if I had to change feeds I would go back to Purina.

Edit: I just wanted to note that I have tried many other brands both cheaper along with the more expensive "designer" brands. Again health wise my birds have done the best on Kalmbach and Purina. Also I have both Ducks and Chickens of all ages who I keep on the same feed so I don't loose my mind trying to feed everyone something special.

Last edited:
New to chicken raising this year, so nowhere near an expert.

We have 21 chickens & 4 ducks. I normally feed Rural King’s All Flock (whatever the proper name is). It was $17.99/bag but last time I went it had been raised to $19.99 I think. (Website shows it’s back at $17.99)

That might not make a diff for most, but we have no income currently so trying to feed these free loaders the best yet cheapest way is what I’m going for.
(Only 5 hens & the female duck is laying so 4-6 eggs a day just recently.)

But I also have to calculate gas for that feed because both RK’s near me are 30-40min away, in V10 engine SUV. Lol

I really would like to go soy free or at least GMO free feed wise, but idk if we can afford it. (There is health benefits to no soy & non-GMO; just need to research it.)

Our hopes is we can sell some eggs soon to offset the cost.
I can’t seem to find any local mills with bulk deals.

I really would like to go soy free or at least GMO free feed wise, but idk if we can afford it. (There is health benefits to no soy & non-GMO; just need to research it.)

Our hopes is we can sell some eggs soon to offset the cost.
I can’t seem to find any local mills with bulk deals.
I sell eggs which allows me to pretty much break even on feed costs. However, I would love to find a reliable, affordable soy-free feed but have not been able to. I have a few potential customers that would jump at buying my eggs if we were soy-free. One told me he'd pay $6-7 a dozen (I currently charge $4.75 with carton trade).

I actually sold a dozen of duck eggs to a friend for ten dollars this year. That helped with the feed. My Rural King is not close to me either but I have a smaller car which gets pretty good gas mileage. We are getting a brand new TSC in our town and I will start buying their feed because of the cost of gas. It will cost more for the feed but save on the miles and gas. I try to buy more than one bag when I go just because of the inconvenience. I had one bag that was moldy one time that I had just gotten from TSC but when I took it back they made it good. Since eggs are so expensive and we eat the duck eggs I take that into consideration for the cost of feed. Plus the enjoyment I get out of watching them.

I'm feeding organic so that hikes up the price - since I use two different feeds one is around $33-35 I think, the other is $42? But my birds haven't been eating a lot lately due to the heat + a number of them are molting.
Was curious if your girls slow way down on their egg production when they are molting. Mine seem too, or at I think that’s what’s happening.

All the best

I sell eggs which allows me to pretty much break even on feed costs. However, I would love to find a reliable, affordable soy-free feed but have not been able to. I have a few potential customers that would jump at buying my eggs if we were soy-free. One told me he'd pay $6-7 a dozen (I currently charge $4.75 with carton trade).
Have you looked into Tucker Milling? Idk if it’s available near you, but you might try.
If you’re near KY, I saw someone on IG post about KOFFI (Kentucky Organic Farm & Feed, Inc.) but they have little web presence because they’re Amish ran.

The last I bought was $22.99 for 40lbs of Nutrena All Flock pellets.
When I have chicks I get Purina Flock Raiser 50lbs at 26.99 because they carry it in crumble. I have fed chick starter unmedicated $24.49 for 50lbs to everyone if that was all I could get. The hardest problem for me is getting fresh feed. They do not rotate the stock. :(

I have several feed mills within driving distance that carry feed for around $15, but it is ground so fine with some small grain mixed in. My birds pick through it and throw it around a lot trying to find the bits. I end up with too much dust they won't eat.
I've also ended up sometimes with the crumble feed having a lot of dust. Ended up making mash out of it, which they gobble down.

Back
Top Bottom