How much do you pay per bird for processing?

Quote:
Pick one rooster. One rooster who puts his hackles up every time you walk past. Or just one you like less than the others. Pick him out. Explain to him what's coming Saturday morning. Verbalize it. Make yourself commit to the action and say the words.

Friday night, sharpen a couple of knives. If you don't know how, you have three days to learn. Youtube will teach. Cut the top and bottom off of a bleach bottle and screw it to a board. That's your kill cone.

Saturday morning, fill your turkey fryer 3/4 full of water and put in a couple of tablespoons of dish soap. When the water gets to 145, go get your rooster. Don't let the water get above 150.

What you're about to do was hard for me the first time. I was shaking as I killed my first superfluous rooster. It is hard. But they're yummy, you have too many and this is part of stewardship. It's part of the barn yard life cycle.

Put him in the cone facing you. Put your left thumb on the bottom of his beak (his bottom) and your pointer finger on his comb. Pull down gently. Cut starting at his left ear and keep cutting to the middle of his neck. Cut deep enough that your hand is immediately covered in blood, not so deep that you cut his windpipe. Now, cut the other ear back to the middle. Wash your hands. He's already dead. Cry a bit. Feel sorry for the loss of life. It is a big deal to take life. Only God can make a chicken. He'll kick for a few seconds but you're done.

Now give him a 150 degree bath, pull some feathers, singe some hair, cut off the feet, pull off the head and eviscerate away.

Finally, make soup. You'll probably be amazed how long and skinny he is without feathers. Soup is the best use for a rooster in my book.

Each time you do it, try to do it better. Make it faster for the bird. Get faster at processing. Soon you'll find this is an appropriate part of stewardship. You haven't betrayed the bird. You helped it fulfill its purpose. It wouldn't live if it wasn't tasty. Time to pay the rent.

This is normal. This is natural. Dogs earn their keep. Extra roosters can't. They're hard on the hens and eat a lot.

Quote:
Pick one rooster. One rooster who puts his hackles up every time you walk past. Or just one you like less than the others. Pick him out. Explain to him what's coming Saturday morning. Verbalize it. Make yourself commit to the action and say the words.

Friday night, sharpen a couple of knives. If you don't know how, you have three days to learn. Youtube will teach. Cut the top and bottom off of a bleach bottle and screw it to a board. That's your kill cone.

Saturday morning, fill your turkey fryer 3/4 full of water and put in a couple of tablespoons of dish soap. When the water gets to 145, go get your rooster. Don't let the water get above 150.

What you're about to do was hard for me the first time. I was shaking as I killed my first superfluous rooster. It is hard. But they're yummy, you have too many and this is part of stewardship. It's part of the barn yard life cycle.

Put him in the cone facing you. Put your left thumb on the bottom of his beak (his bottom) and your pointer finger on his comb. Pull down gently. Cut starting at his left ear and keep cutting to the middle of his neck. Cut deep enough that your hand is immediately covered in blood, not so deep that you cut his windpipe. Now, cut the other ear back to the middle. Wash your hands. He's already dead. Cry a bit. Feel sorry for the loss of life. It is a big deal to take life. Only God can make a chicken. He'll kick for a few seconds but you're done.

Now give him a 150 degree bath, pull some feathers, singe some hair, cut off the feet, pull off the head and eviscerate away.

Finally, make soup. You'll probably be amazed how long and skinny he is without feathers. Soup is the best use for a rooster in my book.

Each time you do it, try to do it better. Make it faster for the bird. Get faster at processing. Soon you'll find this is an appropriate part of stewardship. You haven't betrayed the bird. You helped it fulfill its purpose. It wouldn't live if it wasn't tasty. Time to pay the rent.

This is normal. This is natural. Dogs earn their keep. Extra roosters can't. They're hard on the hens and eat a lot.

I LOVE THIS STORY!!

Quote:
I'm fascinated by that. Fascinated! How many birds do you have processed? You could easily process 10 in an hour by yourself. That would be like paying yourself $30/hour. I'm tickled to work for those wages, especially in this economy.

Quote:
I'd do a lot of things for $30/hour. Even for $20. I suspect I'm not alone. Surely you can find somebody who wants to make some cabbage.

I know I'm no expert since I've only been doing this three years. But how in the heck do you do 10 an hour???!!!
bow.gif
I'm very picky and have to make sure I get every little feather off so I average about 2 and hour
hu.gif

Quote:
I'm fascinated by that. Fascinated! How many birds do you have processed? You could easily process 10 in an hour by yourself. That would be like paying yourself $30/hour. I'm tickled to work for those wages, especially in this economy.

Quote:
I'd do a lot of things for $30/hour. Even for $20. I suspect I'm not alone. Surely you can find somebody who wants to make some cabbage.

I know I'm no expert since I've only been doing this three years. But how in the heck do you do 10 an hour???!!!
bow.gif
I'm very picky and have to make sure I get every little feather off so I average about 2 and hour
hu.gif

In Ontario if we want to sell the birds we must send them to the processor. We are not allowed to feed anyone other then our immediate family the chicken if it has not been done at a government inspected facility nor can we transport it off of our property. Sundown farmer is lucky. The processor near me starts at 4.25 a bird bagged without any extras.

Quote:
I'm very picky. Our customers are very picky. But I can't spend all day on 50 birds. We have to move. This is our first year and we're not great at it yet but things are going in the right direction.

I have 6 homemade kill cones. When I work alone I kill 4, then scald (turkey fryer) and pluck another 4 (whizbang plucker $400 on CraigsList, worth every penny). I just leave the four birds in the plucker and wash my hands. I don't want to mix the dirt on the outside with the germs on the inside. I carry the 4 in the plucker to the evisceration table, eviscerate, inspect, put them in the chill tank and head right over, scald 2, kill four, scald 2 and pluck. I can't let the cycle take me more than 10 or 12 minutes. I don't mess with livers, hearts or gizzards. It will take much less time when I figure out how to grab the crop and tame my scalder issues.

When my wife and son (age 9) help I try to kill thirty every hour. I kill, scald, pluck, cut feet and pull heads. When my son gets a bit older and I upgrade my scalder I'm sure we can push this to 50 or 60 birds/hour.

I suggested 10 birds because that seems a reasonable amount for someone killing 20 birds/year and plucking by hand. Work at a relaxed pace, watch the morning and enjoy the work.

Watch this Joel Salatin video and aspire to greatness. He does a 20 second evisceration.

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:

bow.gif
hu.gif

Amen I was thinking the same thing!!!!!!! I think I can do it in about 45 min to an hour. Haven't timed myself yet. The older roo's they take longer.

Quote:
Those regulations are silly. They are made to benefit the consumer but if the consumer wants to buy your bird they have to pay $1.06/pound for processing. The helpful Canadian government is putting you out of business. Consumers would be better off buying livestock from you and butchering for themselves.

We can only do this as long as we process less than 5000 poultry. "Poultry" includes rabbits somehow.

Back
Top Bottom