How much do you spend per month on feed for your small flock???

Miss Lydia- I don't have a good picture to post so here's the manufacturer link.
https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.p...ders&product_id=172&product_name=Grub+-+Green

There is also a matching 'glug' for water but my ladies refused to use it. If yours are used to nipple waterers though it could work. They're designed to link onto the wire of the run.
This one has a pic of the grub and glug hung. Looks like they put the grub up a bit high in the pic but that's how it attaches.
https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.p...Cube&product_id=455&product_name=Cube+-+Green

If you'd like more close up shots let me know and I'll see about getting some after church!

Last edited:
got 5 hens 50 pound bag of feed lasts me a month sometimes a month and half cost me $12.50 a month
tongue.png

I have four laying hens. I buy local, organic commercial feed and go through about 15 pounds a month. That's a cost of roughly $7.50. Plus I give them BOSS and cracked corn as scratch. That's an additional $5.00 a month. So you're looking at around $12.50 a month in total food costs. During peak laying season I get about a 20 eggs a week. During slow laying season I get about 5 eggs a week. I think it's totally worth it. I love the fresh eggs and the chickens are so much fun to have in the back yard.

Miss Lydia- Yep, I have the whole setup. I love it but we are looking at changing a bit. I want more chickens but the Cube doesn't fit more than 3 comfortably. So a new coop will go up and we'll have to figure out what to do with the cube. We're looking at just keeping it for our next house and using it for banties/chickens for the kids to care for. It's super easy to clean and safe as can be, it's just a bit small.

I have a thread I did on the cube since so many people were curious about them.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=386522

Chick, I like that setup, and when you get your new coop built that would be a perfect place for bantams or Silkies which are wonderful pets for children, I don't have Silkies yet plan to get some this spring , but I have 5 bantam cochins and they are the sweetest little things. Make great broodies and mommies also. Thanks for sharing..
thumbsup.gif

I have about 45-50 chickens(changes weekly from buying and selling) and about 15 are laying, most are young still. I get an average of 8 eggs a day. Some days 4 and others 12 at my best this winter. During the summer about 12-13 eggs a day on average! I go through 4 40lb bags of Layer Crumbles @ $9.50 = $38 roughly. 1 40lb bag of Cracked corn @ $7.50 and 1 40lb bag of Layer Pellets @ $9.50. 1 5lb bag of oyster shells when needed @ $6(lasts about 3 months) Total is $57 for a month in food costs. I also get "expired greens" about a day past their prime from a local gas station for free. I give them about 2 bags of lettuce green a week and eggs that break. I also give them crushed egg shells in there feed. I just mix it in.

In a months time in the winter I will get anywhere from 1 egg per 2 hens a day so about 5-10 let's say 7 a day. 7x7 is 49 eggs a week. About 4 dozen a week on average. I sell about 3 dozen a week for $3 or $3.75 for 18 eggs total from eggs is about $12 a week. In a month about $50-$60 from eggs. Its not a money making business but it is very fun and enjoyable! It pays the feed bills here. I'm getting ready to buy feed from a mill to save money. Its like $10 for a 50+lb bag.

-Nate

th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
omg!!! I spend $160. a week on feed!!!
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif

hit.gif
I have an addiction..and I don't want to quit.
barnie.gif
I could be driving a new SUV or take my kids to Disney Land..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom