How much do yours eat?

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by The Sheriff, Jan 13, 2012.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    A friend just posted on the Icelandic thread that an emu eats 10 to 15 pounds of feed per day! MIne split about 2.5 cups and sometimes don't finish that but they are free range too. What is your experience with adult emu and feed requirement? I think that scared another friend off from getting emus! [​IMG]

Thanks!

Mary

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I was reading up on emus a while ago.. seems to me they said that the average adult eats about 2 pounds of food a day

heck.. I have turkeys that try to shovel down that much! lol

3. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    10-15 pounds is completely wrong..unless you have that many Emu. On average they eat a pound to pound and a half a day.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I give about one 3 quart horse scoop per emu...... But the chickens etc... Weasel into the feeder and eat some too.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I really want to know the answer to this..... how much they really do eat.
    Please say they eat alot, so I won't be tempted any more.....

6. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    x2! I think that they are really interesting and cool, but my parents will kill me if I got some. Unless they have some usefulness of some sort that can convince my parents. lol

7. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    this is taken directly from RedOakFarm.com

They have been raising emu's for years and years...and pretty much wrote the book on it

Adult emus on a good, balanced ration will eat around 1 1/2 pounds of feed per day, averaged out over the year. Growing chicks and coming 2's may consume 2 pounds per day, averaged out over a year.

8. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    That is almost the same amount that turkeys eat. Male turkeys eat a pound of feed a day, and hens eat 1/2 pound of feed a day. Oh that is so temping to get emus! What purpose do they have? I know that they do not lay a lot of eggs, etc.

9. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Emus gained popularity as an alternative meat source (red meat similar to beef) until the bottom fell out of the market several years ago. They are also slaughtered for emu oil which is used in the cosmetic industry for making lotions, soaps etc. The eggs are used for decorative carving and jewelry (and well.. you can eat the eggs too). And then there are the silly people like many on this board (and myself) who like them as big pets!

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    They make you laugh. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by