How much do yours eat?

The cows and such would not be a problem, the only problem would be your fencing. Barbed wire will not hold a emu, nor will hot wire... they just don't react the same with it as other critters. You would need field fencing etc.. type to contain them.

Well, that will not work, for I am sure that my dad will never will want to spend the money for that type of fencing. Unless Emus can free range, and will come back to the coop at night like chickens.

Daron,
Mine wandered through a hole in the fence to the neighbor's house a couple of months ago. They were just standing there looking stupid and I don't think they had any idea how to get themselves back home.

Maybe if they were raised being free ranged and always come back to the coop at night, like for an example- I have broody turkeys, and I manage to find emu eggs, and let the turkeys incubate the eggs. The turkeys hatch some emus and they free range with their ''mother''. The hen teaches the chicks to eat, come back to the coop at night, etc.

Will that work? I have had a few turkeys being broody for 2 months straight, so that will work on Emu eggs. =D

I would never suggest freeranging emu. They are to big and do not act like chickens or other fowl. They like to chase and would chase a car.....they run off when scared. They could get hit by a car and could kill someone that way... or someone would shoot them or they could peck someone or kill someones dog or cat. I think of them as almost horse like in a way... how ever you would keep a horse is how you'd keep an emu.... except horses can be fenced with electric or wire... although not very good most times.

Yep no way around it....spend the money to house them correctly, otherwise don't do it at all. Emu's are interesting birds..they can be SUPER smart,and DUMB at the same time. When my birds were about 4 moths old or so, I had them in a fenced in area that is about 30 by 30 ft square....and a gate with latch and a bungee cord......One of the Emu's actuallty got the latch lifted, and was able to squeeze out the gate because the bungee cord was still holding it....the other 3 emu's followed suit.....I arrived home about 9pm that night, as sun was just setting, and here were ALL 4 big dumb birds standing on my driveway watching me drive up....soon as I got out of the car, they ran up to me, and followed me back to their enclosure. So they were smart enough to get out of their cage, but TOO dumb to actually go anywhere!!!

Yep no way around it....spend the money to house them correctly, otherwise don't do it at all. Emu's are interesting birds..they can be SUPER smart,and DUMB at the same time. When my birds were about 4 moths old or so, I had them in a fenced in area that is about 30 by 30 ft square....and a gate with latch and a bungee cord......One of the Emu's actuallty got the latch lifted, and was able to squeeze out the gate because the bungee cord was still holding it....the other 3 emu's followed suit.....I arrived home about 9pm that night, as sun was just setting, and here were ALL 4 big dumb birds standing on my driveway watching me drive up....soon as I got out of the car, they ran up to me, and followed me back to their enclosure. So they were smart enough to get out of their cage, but TOO dumb to actually go anywhere!!!

lol this makes me smile! lol

I have mine on an acre,we do not keep them in the pen. They are very nice with all of livestock. Sheep on the other end steal their food. My guys do not like other birds( chickens and Turkeys) they chase them off and if lucky will stump them.

Back
Top Bottom