How much do yours eat?

The Sheriff

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Northern CA
A friend just posted on the Icelandic thread that an emu eats 10 to 15 pounds of feed per day! MIne split about 2.5 cups and sometimes don't finish that but they are free range too. What is your experience with adult emu and feed requirement? I think that scared another friend off from getting emus!
idunno.gif

Thanks!

Mary

10-15 pounds is completely wrong..unless you have that many Emu. On average they eat a pound to pound and a half a day.

I really want to know the answer to this..... how much they really do eat.
Please say they eat alot, so I won't be tempted any more.....
x2! I think that they are really interesting and cool, but my parents will kill me if I got some. Unless they have some usefulness of some sort that can convince my parents. lol

this is taken directly from RedOakFarm.com

They have been raising emu's for years and years...and pretty much wrote the book on it

Adult emus on a good, balanced ration will eat around 1 1/2 pounds of feed per day, averaged out over the year. Growing chicks and coming 2's may consume 2 pounds per day, averaged out over a year.

this is taken directly from RedOakFarm.com

They have been raising emu's for years and years...and pretty much wrote the book on it

Adult emus on a good, balanced ration will eat around 1 1/2 pounds of feed per day, averaged out over the year. Growing chicks and coming 2's may consume 2 pounds per day, averaged out over a year.
That is almost the same amount that turkeys eat. Male turkeys eat a pound of feed a day, and hens eat 1/2 pound of feed a day. Oh that is so temping to get emus! What purpose do they have? I know that they do not lay a lot of eggs, etc.

That is almost the same amount that turkeys eat. Male turkeys eat a pound of feed a day, and hens eat 1/2 pound of feed a day.
Oh that is so temping to get emus! What purpose do they have? I know that they do not lay a lot of eggs, etc.

Emus gained popularity as an alternative meat source (red meat similar to beef) until the bottom fell out of the market several years ago. They are also slaughtered for emu oil which is used in the cosmetic industry for making lotions, soaps etc. The eggs are used for decorative carving and jewelry (and well.. you can eat the eggs too). And then there are the silly people like many on this board (and myself) who like them as big pets!

Back
Top Bottom