How much does it take to get sick

algerville

Hatching
Oct 14, 2015
Ok so this is gross...just got done cleaning chicken coop, washed hands, did some other stuf. I am a nail biter, hence i dont have long nails, but started biting my nails and it tasted like the smell of chicken poo. Am i going to get deathly ill? Apparently must have been microscopic amoubt under my nail :-(

Ok so this is gross...just got done cleaning chicken coop, washed hands, did some other stuf. I am a nail biter, hence i dont have long nails, but started biting my nails and it tasted like the smell of chicken poo. Am i going to get deathly ill? Apparently must have been microscopic amoubt under my nail :-(

Not sure how to answer this, but IMO time will tell if there was enough bacteria/yuck ingested that will make you sick.

Washing hands and under the nails is a good habit to get into. A nail brush may be helpful in getting all the gunk from under the nails. Also consider getting a good pair of rubber gloves or some disposable gloves when doing your chicken chores.

Hope all is well.

Last edited:
Personally, I think you'll be fine. I think we get exposed to a lot more germs and nasty stuff than we realize every day. You're probably more at risk of getting sick from touching the handle of a shopping cart! I'm weird though, I get more grossed out by "people germs" like when people wipe their nose or sneeze into their hand and then handle money, shopping cart, etc, than I am by chicken poop!

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sadly, I also bite my nails.
sickbyc.gif
I do have a nail brush I use even to scrub my hands. I think you probably didn't get enough to be sick, but every person and their immune system is different. Since we have dogs and chickens we don't get sick nearly as often as we did before having animals. So it has actually boosted our immunity!

Also, I would be embarrassed to admit that!
hide.gif
Thanks for sharing anyways!
lol.png

Im. Not embarrased...i have a bad habit...better than smoking i guess lol...just disappointed that could even still be under my short nail after washing hands

Back
Top Bottom