1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much exercise do chickens need?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CovertS2, Apr 21, 2012.

1. CovertS2

CovertS2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    I am still in school so I won't be there to watch them outside all day. I can't let them free range all day because most of my neighbors have dogs. Will they have trouble being cooped up a lot?

2. Kittyf

Kittyf Chillin' With My Peeps

I let mine out into their range run every afternoon for about 5 hours. Now that it is staying lighter outside, you may be able to let yours out when you get home from school and let them stay out until just before sunset.
    They love their free range time, but many chickens live with little or no run time. I think more range time is better, but mine are cooped during inclement weather or if there is construction on our property (for their own safety/protection.) They should do okay with a simple routine and maybe you can range them each afternoon and more on the weekends.

Kate

3. GertrudeLover01

GertrudeLover01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have a coop with a reasonably sized run on it, and they are fine with it... I do let them out on the screened porch after school so they can run and flap and cluck and perch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by