How much food???

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I am getting 25 male Cornish X next week. I live a ways away from the Farm Co-op where I will buy the feed.... so, I'm trying to figure out how much these eating machines will need?
Is there a ballpark??? The feed bag is 25 kg. Will one bag of starter do? Then one bag of Grower?
What is the age you switch from starter to grower? (and is it different for layers?)

Thanks

This is my first year doing Cornish crosses or any meat birds at all. So I’m no expert! I have 9 Cx and they have gone through 1 50lb. (About the equivalent of 22kg) bag of starter/grower and are mostly through their second bag of the same at about 8 wks. I like not having to switch feeds but may move on to grower/finisher if they finish this bag of feed before processing time.

I am into week 2 of our first ever chickens which are Cornish Cross. Everything that I have read said on average that one eats 1 lb of feed a week. I have 32 (lost 1) and we are about 3/4 the way through our first bag of 35lb feed. It is a starter/grower. I think I am going to buy one more of this then when I put them out on pasture when they are mostly feathered out at 3 weeks Ill switch to the larger broiler feed. That being said I haven't bought it so who's to say it is larger! If your birds go out on pasture then on average they will eat 15 pounds of feed in their life time, give or take.

I hope this helps... advice from a new bee also! Good luck!!!!

I am getting 25 male Cornish X next week. I live a ways away from the Farm Co-op where I will buy the feed.... so, I'm trying to figure out how much these eating machines will need?
Is there a ballpark??? The feed bag is 25 kg. Will one bag of starter do? Then one bag of Grower?
What is the age you switch from starter to grower? (and is it different for layers?)

Thanks
Where in Ontario are you? I live near Timmins.

yes, that's perfect! I'd like them to be out on pasture from day 1 but this damn winter keeps on coming. its crazy. supposed to get freezing rain tomorrow again! I guess I should have them outside for day times by their 3-4 week. havent figured out how im going to get them into the chicken tractor and back into the coop everynight.

my feed bags are 25 kg and I'm getting 25 chicks, so should last 2+ weeks I guess!

yes, that's perfect! I'd like them to be out on pasture from day 1 but this damn winter keeps on coming. its crazy. supposed to get freezing rain tomorrow again! I guess I should have them outside for day times by their 3-4 week. havent figured out how im going to get them into the chicken tractor and back into the coop everynight.

my feed bags are 25 kg and I'm getting 25 chicks, so should last 2+ weeks I guess!

They will still require a morning and evening feeding. The bigger they get, the more they consume. I wouldn't expect a pasture diet to sustain them unless you're knee deep in bugs. The 2:1 ratio is a good guideline. So if you want your 25 birds to reach 8lbs before processing, you'll need 400 lbs of feed or 7 to 8 bags. I would do 3 starter bags (18 to 20% protein) and 5 grower bags (17%)

Thanks
Only answer I have is: They will eat all of it!

Back
Top Bottom