HOW MUCH grit to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Stella1964, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Stella1964

Stella1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    My 9 week old chicks have a grit dish that they keep turning over and dumping in the shavings. Sometimes they even bury the whole dish and I have to coop dive to find it. [​IMG]

Anyway, my question is how much grit do they need each day? Can I put the grit dish out only a couple times a month, or do they need it every day? Not sure how much grit they need and how much they actually accumulate in their crops.

Tx

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    If they are 9 weeks old and still on chick starter then they don't need any, as the starter is enough. If you are feeding them scraps then they need grit. Some keep grit available at all times. Some don't. If they are free ranging then they will forage for their own grit from the ground.

I'm a 9week newbie to chickens so other than what I read I don't know much, lol. I don't feed my chicks grit all the time and they do not free range. When I feed my chickies scraps then I make grit available to them, other than that they just use whatever particles/bits they find in their enclosure.

Hopefully an someone will give you a more concise answer [​IMG]

3. Stella1964

Stella1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    My chicks have just been put on grower, from starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by