How much nutridrench is too much for Little Lou?

Pics

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
FEABF21D-5CB7-426B-878C-D018DDC7F0D8.jpeg
DFF52BD7-A1B3-4D81-9571-537F45982BEE.jpeg
So for those of you who don’t know, really quick, I have a runt 8mth old duck Little Lou who has struggled his whole life. Last week he started limping. Nothing new. I separated him and suspected it was the joint due to swelling. Did all usual remedies. Looked for Bumblefoot. Saw a maybe. Picked at it for two days with no results. He is not really eating or drinking now. He does this with his neck in the bucket. Sometimes it’s worse. Today I gave him oral dose of nutridrench despite being terrified of hurting him. Can I give him more. I plan to cut into the supposed callous tomorrow if he is doing better because like this he will die. Cannot go to vet. Not my choice

The not eating and drinking is probably the biggest issue currently - can you feel along his keel and compare it to this body score chart and say what number you think he is?

Poultry%20keel%20bone%20schematic%20for%20bcs.jpg

He really doesn't look good right now. His eyes look sunken and he looks pretty dehydrated. Would you be willing to tube feed him to get some food and water into him to get him stable? It's not hard or dangerous when done correctly and I can walk you through the process. You would need to get a feeding tube size 18fr which a vet might sell you, or some aquarium tubing, a syringe, and preferably some parrot handfeeding formula to feed through the tube.

The not eating and drinking is probably the biggest issue currently - can you feel along his keel and compare it to this body score chart and say what number you think he is?

Poultry%20keel%20bone%20schematic%20for%20bcs.jpg

He really doesn't look good right now. His eyes look sunken and he looks pretty dehydrated. Would you be willing to tube feed him to get some food and water into him to get him stable? It's not hard or dangerous when done correctly and I can walk you through the process. You would need to get a feeding tube size 18fr which a vet might sell you, or some aquarium tubing, a syringe, and preferably some parrot handfeeding formula to feed through the tube.
Let me call the only vet close by..I think they close at 4. My friend works there

It’s not an option, they don’t have it...and the only place that does is $53.49 and my husband said no...are there other options?

It’s not an option, they don’t have it...and the only place that does is $53.49 and my husband said no...are there other options?

Do you mean the tubing? Can you get aquarium tubing instead? You can buy the tubes online for 70 cents. Or do you mean the parrot formula?

Were you able to feel his keel?

Do you mean the tubing? Can you get aquarium tubing instead? You can buy the tubes online for 70 cents. Or do you mean the parrot formula?

Were you able to feel his keel?
I mean the parrot food. $50. We have an aquarium...his keel is difficult to tell ...he feels still about 3 lbs..which this guy was never over 1... but he’s definitely skinny on the top, dehydrated feeling...

I mean the parrot food. $50. We have an aquarium...his keel is difficult to tell ...he feels still about 3 lbs..which this guy was never over 1... but he’s definitely skinny on the top, dehydrated feeling...

Where are you looking to get it? Do you have a Petco or Petsmart nearby? Often they carry Kaytee Exact parrot formula and it's only $12.

If not, if you have a blender, you can blend a mix soupy enough to get it through the tube of his regular food and water, that's better than nothing.

But you'll want to tube water first before anything else, because you don't want to try to feed them when they are dehydrated.

Back
Top Bottom