How much property do you all have?

We have somewhere in the range of 70-80 acres... So having them is not a problem. If anyone should complain about the roo's, ducks, or peacocks I'll simply tell them to move out of the country.

Wendy'sChicksRock :

... I do let them out to free range and they will sometimes go in the yards next door but I never just leave them out alone.no big dogs running loose or anything ike that just curious neighbors now that the word is out...

If your chickens are roaming to other yards, I'm betting that you have more than just curious neighbors; they're probably furious. There are "no big dogs running loose" because they don't want other people's animals crapping in their yards.
I suggest your getting about 200 feet of 3' X 50' fencing with 2" x 4" openings and form round circles (about 65' diameter) with it to contain them during the day while they free range on your property. You won't need posts; it'll stand up on its own, and you can move it around to wherever/whenever you choose.
ETA BTW, I have 6 1/2 acres, and I use the 200 feet or wire as described above to contain mine. You can buy the wire at Home Depot.​

Last edited:
We have less than an acre.I looked up the city zoning laws and it mentions you can have any animal as long as you abide by the setback restriction for the animals barn/coop in relation to the neighbors house(not property line).

I agree, you need to find out if there are any restrictions in your area and you need to contain your animals--no matter if they are dogs/cat/chickens etc! Other people do not want to deal w/ someone else's pets'.. We live on 14 acres and I still have the neighbor's cats and dogs venture thru here every once in a while..It does NOT make me happy...I keep my 9 dogs and my chickens at HOME. "Good fences make great neighbors!"

Yes, definitely check your zoning ordinances! Neighbors are always nice in the beginning, but there are countless stories here on BYC where something upsets them and they decide to file a complaint. Protect yourself and your flock by knowing the laws in your town.

maybe i didnt ask my question right. We have no zoning ordinance that says I cant have my chickens.( should have put that in there I guess )
I was just wondering who was keeping chickens in a small area,like me.seems like most of you have pretty big flocks and have lots of land.
And my neighbors are pretty close.We did turn a shed that has been in our yard for as long as we have been here into our coop they can all see it.

Who has had to deal with a unhappy neighbor and how you worked it out. As far as the girls going next door, well they normally stay pretty close to the coop but did wander over under the pine trees next door for a few mins.
My chilren are very involved in 4-h and we plan to show our birds.We are new to the chicken world and I have a lot to learn so I ask questions,isnt that what this forum is for?
I mean you guys were new once too remember. So if anyone wants to answer or offer any advise on how to keep my flock happy in a small area or how to keep the neighbors happy with me then by all means please do, i'd really appreciate it.

Quote:
If your chickens are roaming to other yards, I'm betting that you have more than just curious neighbors; they're probably furious. There are "no big dogs running loose" because they don't want other people's animals crapping in their yards.
I suggest your getting about 200 feet of 3' X 50' fencing with 2" x 4" openings and form round circles (about 65' diameter) with it to contain them during the day while they free range on your property. You won't need posts; it'll stand up on its own, and you can move it around to wherever/whenever you choose.
ETA BTW, I have 6 1/2 acres, and I use the 200 feet or wire as described above to contain mine. You can buy the wire at Home Depot.

only said that to let ya know I didnt have a preditor issue... geeze and FYI the little weiner dog next door craps in my yard all the time....

Back
Top Bottom