How much room do Shetland geese need?

El Exorcisto

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
I am putting together plans for a 1.5 acre homestead with an apple orchard, grapevines, a sizeable garden, chickens, and some other fowl. I'm weighing my options between Naragansett turkeys or Shetland geese. If I were trying to have my geese live as much on grass as possible, how much space would I need for a trio of breeders and a half dozen goslings raised up to butcher weight? I was planning on turning my laying hens on the apple orchard but am thinking about putting geese on it instead. It will be about 120' x 100' and will be electric fenced at 6", 12", 24", and 36". Would this be enough space to pasture my geese on exclusively without it getting torn down to bare ground? I know pinioning their wings is probably a requirement, and definitely not a problem.

I am putting together plans for a 1.5 acre homestead with an apple orchard, grapevines, a sizeable garden, chickens, and some other fowl. I'm weighing my options between Naragansett turkeys or Shetland geese. If I were trying to have my geese live as much on grass as possible, how much space would I need for a trio of breeders and a half dozen goslings raised up to butcher weight? I was planning on turning my laying hens on the apple orchard but am thinking about putting geese on it instead. It will be about 120' x 100' and will be electric fenced at 6", 12", 24", and 36". Would this be enough space to pasture my geese on exclusively without it getting torn down to bare ground? I know pinioning their wings is probably a requirement, and definitely not a problem.

I dont know the answer to your main question, but I agree that they would love grazing in your orchard. As far as pinioning wings, its only necessary on some breeds, and I'm not familiar with Shetland geese
hmm.png

My Buffs are calm, and I've never seen them lift off the ground when they are trying to 'take off'. LOL However, the other day I did see my White Tufted Roman goose get about 4 ft off the ground. I have never owned Shetlands (although I'd love to get some), so unsure on how well they fly, etc. My geese free range all day, every day and are penned at night time. Like I said, not sure how much space they need, but your spot sounds perfect. Just make sure they have a pen you can lock them into at night time. Good luck

~ Aspen

Wouldn't use electric fence with geese. They are easy to keep in, you just have to keep predators out. If you are raising them to butcher, you might want to supplement a little grain to get them up to weight earlier.

Back
Top Bottom