How much should I charge for eggs

I-Love-Pallets

Songster
Dec 17, 2021
Our hens started laying in early October. We have eleven girls, and even with the shorter days, we’re getting 6-8 eggs a day…more than we can eat. So, I built an egg shack a few weeks ago. Initially, we put a sign out for $4/doz. Anytime we put a dozen out, they disappear very quickly. Now, with the cost of eggs, I’m wondering if we should up the price. Obviously, we’re not trying to get rich, mainly pay for feed and supplies. If feed prices go up, we’ll definitely raise the price…just not sure I want to take advantage of what’s going on in the grocery stores. I would welcome any comments, feedback, etc.

Attachments

• 30FAD0C9-B52B-42A3-9516-46CBF3C4A7E2.png
    30FAD0C9-B52B-42A3-9516-46CBF3C4A7E2.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 70
How much is the going rate for egg slide stands near you? We have charged $4/dozen since last year…but decided to charge $5 for new customers from this point on (most of our customers are coworkers or neighbors, so it’s easy to distinguish who will be a future customer and who is just wanting our eggs noe because they are cheaper). Grocery stores are charging $5 or more for regular eggs now. Good luck!

How much is the going rate for egg slide stands near you? We have charged $4/dozen since last year…but decided to charge $5 for new customers from this point on (most of our customers are coworkers or neighbors, so it’s easy to distinguish who will be a future customer and who is just wanting our eggs noe because they are cheaper). Grocery stores are charging $5 or more for regular eggs now. Good luck!
When we first started, most of the ones I had seen were $3, but we put ours out at $4. Now I’m seeing some of the other ones at $4. We have a LOT of stands in our area. At this point I may wait until other sellers start raising theirs. Thanks for the input!

That's a good idea. You probably don't want to be the first person to raise prices.
Not the kind of trendsetter I want to be! Lol

It really is not about the money when you’re selling eggs on a small scale. It’s very rewarding to be able to provide such a high quality item to my fellow man at a lower price than they are charged for low quality at the grocery store.

I am fine being the local trendsetter.I had to raise my prices lately. Not sure if i am the first or not. Cartons went from 49 cents to 71 cents locally so i raised my price from fifty cents to a dollar a dozen. I do not want your dirty egg cartons brought back. If they are too lazy to come get them, i charge two dollars.
This year i also will no longer be sharing my garden excess due to folk being too lazy to swing by and pick up a bag of vegetables.

I like this idea. You could even do something like where you include a discount card that's valid for $1.00 off of eggs that is valid for 2 months or whatever you like, and let them know that will offset the price increase.

Last edited:
We sold initially to anyone that would buy. Short answer it’s not worth the time or effort. We now sell exclusively to a restaurant. They will buy as many eggs as we can provide and pay full retail (normally you have to give 30-40% discount)

it’s so much easier. We deliver once a week. Use commercial plastic crates (they give us back the ones from the previous week). We have 25 hens at the moment.

so, see if you can find a restaurant or get a so,I’d commitment. Drips and crabs are not worth the effort.

We sold initially to anyone that would buy. Short answer it’s not worth the time or effort. We now sell exclusively to a restaurant. They will buy as many eggs as we can provide and pay full retail (normally you have to give 30-40% discount)

it’s so much easier. We deliver once a week. Use commercial plastic crates (they give us back the ones from the previous week). We have 25 hens at the moment.

so, see if you can find a restaurant or get a so,I’d commitment. Drips and crabs are not worth the effort.
Yeah that’s great and all but it depends on where you live. License fees, permit fees, how many chickens you have, if a restaurant would even buy eggs from a local backyard chicken owner.

Sure it might be easy for you, because you tried the selling to whoever wants them, but everyone has to start somewhere. And IMO, jumping right into selling to a restaurant before selling to neighbors and getting the feel to what works best for selling first, isn’t the way to go.

Some states require you to label every single carton with dates, egg size, nutritional value etc.

Maybe it’s just me but i’d rather sell to local people and keep it under the radar than selling to a restaurant. As you and the restaurant could probably get in trouble if your eggs don’t meet state laws.

Back
Top Bottom