How much should I charge for eggs

We sold initially to anyone that would buy. Short answer it’s not worth the time or effort. We now sell exclusively to a restaurant. They will buy as many eggs as we can provide and pay full retail (normally you have to give 30-40% discount)

it’s so much easier. We deliver once a week. Use commercial plastic crates (they give us back the ones from the previous week). We have 25 hens at the moment.

so, see if you can find a restaurant or get a so,I’d commitment. Drips and crabs are not worth the effort.

Yeah that’s great and all but it depends on where you live. License fees, permit fees, how many chickens you have, if a restaurant would even buy eggs from a local backyard chicken owner.

Sure it might be easy for you, because you tried the selling to whoever wants them, but everyone has to start somewhere. And IMO, jumping right into selling to a restaurant before selling to neighbors and getting the feel to what works best for selling first, isn’t the way to go.

Some states require you to label every single carton with dates, egg size, nutritional value etc.

Maybe it’s just me but i’d rather sell to local people and keep it under the radar than selling to a restaurant. As you and the restaurant could probably get in trouble if your eggs don’t meet state laws.
I could not disagree more. It’s stupid simple to do I’m Washington. It’s a $30 application. it could not be easier. My experience with selling to people was incredibly demotivating. The number of crazy “Karen’s” that you get is insane. The amount of time and effort you have to do for minimal return is very demotivating. if you get pleasure from providing to the neighbors my advice would be just to give them the eggs every now and then. It’s not worth the potential fallout from selling them a dozen eggs every week or so. Selling to neighbors is a nightmare. You have a whole lot of leg work for very little return (unless you can find someone that will buy them all). The drama and fuss is just not worth it.

call your restaurants and see what they want. they will be very upfront, from minimum quantities, expectations of eggs, pricing etc. Typicaly commercial sales expect a 30 to 40 percent discount. They also have expectations on when and how the eggs are delivered. For us they want it in food grade plastic egg crates with a minimum of 75 eggs a week delivered every Thursday. We invoice monthly and gets paid on 30 days.

I would recommend looking for a local dining or speciality restaurant. You are not looking for MC Donald’s here. You are looking sir something local that wants local eggs.

if you try keep it under the radar your consequences are worse. Just follow the rules. It’s not hard.

That's a good score! I have searched and can't find a solid answer here. We usually gather a week's worth then I wash the eggs the night before I sell them. We are running out of counter space so the unwashed eggs were all put in the fridge. Is it okay to wash them then re-refridgerate?
I do not wash mine. I do have a sign sitting next to the cooler that explains the eggs come from happy, free range, chickens, and that I do not wash them in order to protect the bloom. I have some other info on it as well.

I've kept mine at $3/dozen even though the grocery store has raised theirs. I could go on about it but all it's going to accomplish is raising my blood pressure🙃 my price pays for the cost of feed in winter and makes me a little money during the summer since they free range more and eat less of their feed. If a new buyer wants me to be their regular egg dealer I tell them $3/ dozen IF they bring me back the cartons. If I have to go buy cartons then their price goes up to $4/doz since cartons are approx. .75/ cartons now.

I live in USA, AZ where do I check for such things? Like poultry or agricultural laws or regulations? I'm just new to this so I don't know where to start.
Start reading here:
https://agriculture.az.gov/animals/animal-services-inspections/egg-inspections
Screenshot_20230425-145638.png

How much is the going rate for egg slide stands near you? We have charged $4/dozen since last year…but decided to charge $5 for new customers from this point on (most of our customers are coworkers or neighbors, so it’s easy to distinguish who will be a future customer and who is just wanting our eggs noe because they are cheaper). Grocery stores are charging $5 or more for regular eggs now. Good luck!

I am fine being the local trendsetter.I had to raise my prices lately. Not sure if i am the first or not. Cartons went from 49 cents to 71 cents locally so i raised my price from fifty cents to a dollar a dozen. I do not want your dirty egg cartons brought back. If they are too lazy to come get them, i charge two dollars.
This year i also will no longer be sharing my garden excess due to folk being too lazy to swing by and pick up a bag of vegetables.

I could not disagree more. It’s stupid simple to do I’m Washington. It’s a $30 application. it could not be easier. My experience with selling to people was incredibly demotivating. The number of crazy “Karen’s” that you get is insane. The amount of time and effort you have to do for minimal return is very demotivating. if you get pleasure from providing to the neighbors my advice would be just to give them the eggs every now and then. It’s not worth the potential fallout from selling them a dozen eggs every week or so. Selling to neighbors is a nightmare. You have a whole lot of leg work for very little return (unless you can find someone that will buy them all). The drama and fuss is just not worth it.

call your restaurants and see what they want. they will be very upfront, from minimum quantities, expectations of eggs, pricing etc. Typicaly commercial sales expect a 30 to 40 percent discount. They also have expectations on when and how the eggs are delivered. For us they want it in food grade plastic egg crates with a minimum of 75 eggs a week delivered every Thursday. We invoice monthly and gets paid on 30 days.

I would recommend looking for a local dining or speciality restaurant. You are not looking for MC Donald’s here. You are looking sir something local that wants local eggs.

if you try keep it under the radar your consequences are worse. Just follow the rules. It’s not hard.
Listen you can disagree with me all you want, but it’s plain facts. Telling someone that has 11 chickens to sell to a restaurant is absurd. In NJ you need to register with NJDA, you need a permit to sell, you need this, you need that. You need your area spotless, you need eggs spotless. They check your yard/ chicken area. It’s too much of a mess for what? To get rid of eggs quickly? And then that restaurant is 100% reliant on you to provide eggs every week. What if there’s a disease that wipes out your entire flock? Death? Age? Winter time slow down??

It’s not more risky to fly under the radar and sell to neighbors, as you don’t need licenses or permits. What’s more risky is having the government hover over your shoulder just because you want to sell some eggs. My point is very clear that if you and the restaurant are not following state rules and regulations, you’ll be paying big money.

I just started selling my eggs and i’m doing pretty good. I post on facebook town page when i have a carton and it’s gone the next day. As the op said, as soon as they put a carton out it disappears. IMO I’d rather have customers from word of mouth/local than sell to a restaurant. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom