How much should I charge for eggs

Yeah that’s great and all but it depends on where you live. License fees, permit fees, how many chickens you have, if a restaurant would even buy eggs from a local backyard chicken owner.

Sure it might be easy for you, because you tried the selling to whoever wants them, but everyone has to start somewhere. And IMO, jumping right into selling to a restaurant before selling to neighbors and getting the feel to what works best for selling first, isn’t the way to go.

Some states require you to label every single carton with dates, egg size, nutritional value etc.

Maybe it’s just me but i’d rather sell to local people and keep it under the radar than selling to a restaurant. As you and the restaurant could probably get in trouble if your eggs don’t meet state laws.
I could not disagree more. It’s stupid simple to do I’m Washington. It’s a $30 application. it could not be easier. My experience with selling to people was incredibly demotivating. The number of crazy “Karen’s” that you get is insane. The amount of time and effort you have to do for minimal return is very demotivating. if you get pleasure from providing to the neighbors my advice would be just to give them the eggs every now and then. It’s not worth the potential fallout from selling them a dozen eggs every week or so. Selling to neighbors is a nightmare. You have a whole lot of leg work for very little return (unless you can find someone that will buy them all). The drama and fuss is just not worth it.

call your restaurants and see what they want. they will be very upfront, from minimum quantities, expectations of eggs, pricing etc. Typicaly commercial sales expect a 30 to 40 percent discount. They also have expectations on when and how the eggs are delivered. For us they want it in food grade plastic egg crates with a minimum of 75 eggs a week delivered every Thursday. We invoice monthly and gets paid on 30 days.

I would recommend looking for a local dining or speciality restaurant. You are not looking for MC Donald’s here. You are looking sir something local that wants local eggs.

if you try keep it under the radar your consequences are worse. Just follow the rules. It’s not hard.

I could not disagree more. It’s stupid simple to do I’m Washington. It’s a $30 application. it could not be easier. My experience with selling to people was incredibly demotivating. The number of crazy “Karen’s” that you get is insane. The amount of time and effort you have to do for minimal return is very demotivating. if you get pleasure from providing to the neighbors my advice would be just to give them the eggs every now and then. It’s not worth the potential fallout from selling them a dozen eggs every week or so. Selling to neighbors is a nightmare. You have a whole lot of leg work for very little return (unless you can find someone that will buy them all). The drama and fuss is just not worth it.

call your restaurants and see what they want. they will be very upfront, from minimum quantities, expectations of eggs, pricing etc. Typicaly commercial sales expect a 30 to 40 percent discount. They also have expectations on when and how the eggs are delivered. For us they want it in food grade plastic egg crates with a minimum of 75 eggs a week delivered every Thursday. We invoice monthly and gets paid on 30 days.

I would recommend looking for a local dining or speciality restaurant. You are not looking for MC Donald’s here. You are looking sir something local that wants local eggs.

if you try keep it under the radar your consequences are worse. Just follow the rules. It’s not hard.
Listen you can disagree with me all you want, but it’s plain facts. Telling someone that has 11 chickens to sell to a restaurant is absurd. In NJ you need to register with NJDA, you need a permit to sell, you need this, you need that. You need your area spotless, you need eggs spotless. They check your yard/ chicken area. It’s too much of a mess for what? To get rid of eggs quickly? And then that restaurant is 100% reliant on you to provide eggs every week. What if there’s a disease that wipes out your entire flock? Death? Age? Winter time slow down??

It’s not more risky to fly under the radar and sell to neighbors, as you don’t need licenses or permits. What’s more risky is having the government hover over your shoulder just because you want to sell some eggs. My point is very clear that if you and the restaurant are not following state rules and regulations, you’ll be paying big money.

I just started selling my eggs and i’m doing pretty good. I post on facebook town page when i have a carton and it’s gone the next day. As the op said, as soon as they put a carton out it disappears. IMO I’d rather have customers from word of mouth/local than sell to a restaurant. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

Last edited:
Don’t have to be rude. It was simple questions. If you’re doing the right thing, it shouldn’t be hard to answer🙂
You received that response because of your phrasing. You sounded more like you were conducting an interrogation rather than being simply curious. Whether they are doing the right thing is between them and the law. A restaurant owner would have to be a bonkers mad hatter to pay full market price for eggs in this economy from someone that did not have the proper paperwork and risk losing their business.

I plan on selling mine for $4 and then if they bring the egg carton back, the next ones will be $3.
We are storing in a 30 flat. They can grab a dozen and bring their own container, or, we can offer them one with a charge of $1.00 more for our container. Where do you buy your cartons from. We have been pricing them.

We are storing in a 30 flat. They can grab a dozen and bring their own container, or, we can offer them one with a charge of $1.00 more for our container. Where do you buy your cartons from. We have been pricing them.
Tbh, I got about 50 of them from a yard sale for $1 lol! But i look on Facebook Market place, i was able to score 20 for $3.

If/when i do run out, i will most likely be purchasing from amazon or https://poultrycartons.com/?fbclid=PAAaal38HXuuM0htpCjRQlKbu67D841Rv0t3s5a3ZKUMZNxnf7-QpF1GOTQ0M

another one is
https://eggcartonstore.com/egg-cartons/

That's a good score! I have searched and can't find a solid answer here. We usually gather a week's worth then I wash the eggs the night before I sell them. We are running out of counter space so the unwashed eggs were all put in the fridge. Is it okay to wash them then re-refridgerate?

That's a good score! I have searched and can't find a solid answer here. We usually gather a week's worth then I wash the eggs the night before I sell them. We are running out of counter space so the unwashed eggs were all put in the fridge. Is it okay to wash them then re-refridgerate?
I think it would be okay, but i’m not 100% sure. I think it would be as long as you don’t let the eggs condensate. If you wash them then put back into the fridge immediately you should be fine😁

General rule of thumb (what i go by): unwashed eggs are 2 weeks on counter, 3 months in fridge. Washed eggs go straight into the refrigerator and are good for 2 months.

When eggs are laid, they’re laid with a bloom and it protects the pores of the eggs from bacteria getting in. So when you wash the bloom off, and let them sit out on the counter and condensate/sweat your eggs are susceptible to bacteria getting in.

I sell my eggs unwashed and I label the carton with the general rule of thumb plus “wash with room temp water”.

I charge $5/dozen here in Southern California. That is an absolute steal and is less than the egg prices around here (for the better quality ones). A dozen of pasture raised eggs at the grocery store are easily $7 or more a dozen right now. I keep chickens as a hobby (and the great compost that they make) so I just sell the eggs to pay for their feed and treats.

We get $3 a dozen here in Little Rock, Arkansas. Some people have upped theirs to 4 a dozen but I don't know how well it's doing considering I see so many for that price.

Back
Top Bottom