how much should I pay?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FireTigeris, Jan 25, 2010.

1. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

how much should one pay in FL for superworms or wrigglers (earthworms) or crickets or mealworms?

any clue? any of these bad for chickens?

there's this bait shop....

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Here in California, around Sacramento, I pay $3.99 for 500 mealworms. I usta buy 'em in 50s, for $1.49, and then $2.99 for 100. Seemed smartest to get the 500, because [ahem] I treat the chickens every day and 50 mealworms just didn't go very far with 7 chickens.

3. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:Do you buy them at a petstore or baitshop or where?

4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Wow, I don't have that problem. If any feed gets stuck under something like rock or board----a few days later--instant treat.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Do you buy them at a petstore or baitshop or where?

I buy 'em at a feed store. PetSmart does carry them (for reptiles and fish, I guess - they were surprised when I said I gave them to chickens), but they're much more expensive there. The feed store even sells mealworms in two sizes: mini and Giant. I don't buy the giant ones.

6. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    Which feed store do you get them from? I'm in South Sac.

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    If you plan on feeding them regularly I would try to find the bait distributor and see what kind of deal you can work out, or start raising your own. The bait shops probably have a 100% (or more) markup.

8. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

The bait shop here has running colonies of every type of 'creepy/crawly' bate I assume they have paid for themselves many times over by now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by