How much should I sell my hens for?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by My chicken is cuter, Jan 14, 2010.

1. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I'm going to sell two of my hens on Houston.craigslist. org, and I was wondering how much money I should ask for them. Both hens were hatched on March 23, 2009 at a well respected hatchery in MO. One is a RIR and the other is a WR. The RIR is laying large eggs again, after stopping for about three weeks for a winter break. She literally lays practically every day. The WR hasn't started laying again. I've never put a light in their coop. I don't care whether they go together or not. I'm getting rid of them because I want some new Ameraucanas. [​IMG] I didn't want to ask too much. How much are they worth?

Thanks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I would say $10 is a fair price for your non laying WR and $12 for the laying RIR.

3. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    I think you should start at 15 for the laying RIR - see what people say.

For the WR - maybe wait a week?, if she starts laying again she'll be a good quality laying bird and you'll get more money out of her.

So I'd recommend saying the pair could go for 25 and seperately, 15 a piece. I don't know what the market is like in houston, but try it out - you can always repost on craigslist.

4. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    I had the same problem. I tried selling them and did not get any takers. I had to give them to a friend.

5. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Research your Craigslist and neighboring towns Craigslist, and see what the market price is in Houston. Here, they would be at least 15 apiece.

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Also don't forget to put them in the newspaper! I get more calls from the newspaper ads than I do from Craigslist.

7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Man. Why can't more people sell chickens in Wisconsin??? [​IMG] I have a hard time getting people to sell theirs around here.

I would take your RIR. Too bad TX is a 25 hour drive. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  8. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Quote:You make me wish I lived in Wisconsin.[​IMG]

9. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Because here in WI we (I) would never pay that much for a laying hen! Terri O in WI

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    $15 to $20

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by