How much time do chickens spend in their coop?

Mine have always loved their coop and spend quite a bit of time in there each day, even though they have a large 14 x 23 foot shaded run. It is an all wire coop inside an existing semi-open goat barn. So it's very light and airy in there and stays fairly cool on all but the hottest days and for that they have their fan.

During nice weather mine pretty much stay outside except to lay, eat, and sleep. During this last winter which is the first winter I have had them, they spent quite a bit of time in the coop but we also had quite a bit of snow this year. I have a 20'x20' run for six chickens.

Wayne

My two girls are pullets about three months old and they spend 75%+ of their time in the coop. They are happy to come out and see me when I go out to the garden or to feed them but I was worried there was something wrong. All seem healthy... and Happy.

My two girls are pullets about three months old and they spend 75%+ of their time in the coop. They are happy to come out and see me when I go out to the garden or to feed them but I was worried there was something wrong. All seem healthy... and Happy.
I’ve been stressing out a little because I figured my girls would be out all day and I often look out to see they’re all back inside. They’re 2 months old so I thought maybe it was an age thing. While they do get afternoon sun in the covered run, they’ll even go in on a cloudy day.

But they appear healthy, and come out whenever I come over to check in with them so I just kind of figured to each their own must include chickens too.

Back
Top Bottom