How much to charge for shipping and chicks

3LittleBirdies

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2018
Hi Everyone,

So I am going to be offering various breeds (hatching eggs or chicks) and was just wondering what the actual cost (once you buy what ever is needed). We run a business over the internet currently (have for 10 years actually) and we underpriced shipping for the longest time. I just don't want to make that mistake again, but I don't want to overcharge anybody either. Any suggestions or information. Thanks.

-Jen

You'll have to figure out how much a box of chicks weighs then find out the cost from your post office zip code to the destination zip.
Go to the USPS website and all the needed information is there. There are special rules for shipping chicks.
It is a bit of a hassle, so don't undercharge.
I assume your flocks are NPIP.
What you charge for the chicks depends on their value, primarily the breeds. The quality of your birds matters a great deal.
You aren't a hatchery with hatchery sized equipment so it will cost you more per chick than it would a major hatchery.

Last edited:
I think what you could do is benchmark against a Hatchery in your area. Look online to evaluate their pricing. You may have to price slightly below them to get interested parties. I agree with above on cost evaluation to build into the cost of the chick.

It is a good idea to plan on shipping early in the week so they reach their destination in a timely manner. That will require timing of egg collection and setting so that the chicks are under 24 hours when carried to the PO.
Protracted hatches won't work for that. Spiking breeder nutrition beginning a couple weeks before the first egg collection, precise temperature control and frequent turning will insure vigorous chicks that all hatch within a couple hours of each other.

Back
Top Bottom