How much ventilation would i need for this coop?

How handy are you with power tools? Or do you know of someone that could help you out with power tools?
All I’ve got is a jigsaw to make cuts, basic drill, and a hammer and nails. Precise measurements for cuts/angles are not my strong suit. I can cut a rectangle cover for those windows on the playhouse with plywood, but that’s about it. And sadly no I don’t know anyone with the skill set/tools.

How about setting all corners on cement pavers( no power tools )? Might help with cleaning . My coop is raised but not big so I just crawl in on a dedicated rug runner when I need to clean every 10 days or so.

All I’ve got is a jigsaw to make cuts, basic drill, and a hammer and nails. Precise measurements for cuts/angles are not my strong suit. I can cut a rectangle cover for those windows on the playhouse with plywood, but that’s about it. And sadly no I don’t know anyone with the skill set/tools.
Honestly what you have is perfect. Angles you don’t really have to worry about for the playhouse you listed on walmart. I watched a video on the playhouse and it looks pretty easy to put together. From what the video showed, it looks like the windows all around the playhouse are rectangles without the plastic trim around them. What i would do, is scrap the plastic trim for the windows, and make real functioning windows that can open and close. This would be easiest if you buy some plywood, measure how big the opening for the window is and cut it out of plywood, build a frame around the outside of the piece of plywood you cut probably with 1x2s and add some hinges and a lock. I would then add some hardware cloth on the inside of the window.

The video didn’t show the roof but it showed that it comes separate from the structure of the playhouse which is good because you can add some 4x4s or 2x4s so you get that upper air ventilation

How about setting all corners on cement pavers( no power tools )? Might help with cleaning . My coop is raised but not big so I just crawl in on a dedicated rug runner when I need to clean every 10 days or so.
Are there taller/thicker ones, or similar things to rest it on that would bring it up more? A play house is flat on the ground so I don’t think an inch or two would do much, unless I’m thinking of the wrong thing.
Would some cinder blocks (maybe stacked up?) work?

Are there taller/thicker ones, or similar things to rest it on that would bring it up more? A play house is flat on the ground so I don’t think an inch or two would do much, unless I’m thinking of the wrong thing.
Would some cinder blocks (maybe stacked up?) work?
Cinder blocks would work too. Add a plywood floor from underneath of the playhouse frame too, i would paint the plywood with some exterior deck paint so it’s protected from elements!

Honestly what you have is perfect. Angles you don’t really have to worry about for the playhouse you listed on walmart. I watched a video on the playhouse and it looks pretty easy to put together. From what the video showed, it looks like the windows all around the playhouse are rectangles without the plastic trim around them. What i would do, is scrap the plastic trim for the windows, and make real functioning windows that can open and close. This would be easiest if you buy some plywood, measure how big the opening for the window is and cut it out of plywood, build a frame around the outside of the piece of plywood you cut probably with 1x2s and add some hinges and a lock. I would then add some hardware cloth on the inside of the window.

The video didn’t show the roof but it showed that it comes separate from the structure of the playhouse which is good because you can add some 4x4s or 2x4s so you get that upper air ventilation
That’s exactly what I was thinking for the smaller windows, so they can be opened when it gets hot during the summer and closed when it’s cold in the winter. For the roof ventilation I calculated the area of the section under the “A” of the roof and if I just removed the section it would be a little over 6sqft for ventilation if I did so on both sides, and from what I’ve read the best type of ventilation in winter is along the roof so the air moves straight through. With that being said, I don’t think I’d have to raise the roof like in my original idea.

That’s exactly what I was thinking for the smaller windows, so they can be opened when it gets hot during the summer and closed when it’s cold in the winter. For the roof ventilation I calculated the area of the section under the “A” of the roof and if I just removed the section it would be a little over 6sqft for ventilation if I did so on both sides, and from what I’ve read the best type of ventilation in winter is along the roof so the air moves straight through. With that being said, I don’t think I’d have to raise the roof like in my original idea.
You might have to raise it a little bit but not too much!

Cinder blocks would work too. Add a plywood floor from underneath of the playhouse frame too, i would paint the plywood with some exterior deck paint so it’s protected from elements!
I was planning on painting it, both for the protection and to make it look a bit nicer (especially once I add my own window covers, I’d want everything to match!). Definitely yes to adding a floor, I was probably going to put down some vinyl tiles too to make cleaning easier too.

The problem is even the cheapest sheds I have found are way too expensive, I can only afford $500, maybe $700 but that’s pushing it.

With this budget, have you considered a hoop coop?

I thought you were trying to convert a playhouse that you already had, not that you were buying one to convert.

I'm really concerned that when you buy the playhouse you're going to discover that it's a cheap piece of junk that will rapidly deteriorate and that may not have adequate structural integrity for your snow load even before you make modifications. :(

Hoop coops are the easiest builds for people with limited construction skills. They handle snow load well because of the strength of the arch.

Here are several good hoop coop articles:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-tractor.69336/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-coop-brooder-with-roll-up-sides.75720/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-biddie-bordello-a-hoop-coop-run-combo.72189/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/permanent-hoop-coop-guide.47818/

Yup hoop coops can handle heavy snow. This was 32" officially of heavy wet spring snow. I shoved it off the top when it was about a foot to 18" on there and again at around 2'.

We can certainly help walk you through building a sturdy hoop coop.

IMG_20210315_083954.jpg

Back
Top Bottom