How much would you pay for this coop? *PICS*

I had a small coop that was low to the ground and let me tell you, it gets old fast. I'd put your money to better use and keep an eye on Craigslist or hire someone to build one. I bought this coop on Craigslist used for $250. I did re-roof it and stain the outside, paint the inside. I added the hardware cloth and run, so the total was closer to $450 all said and done, but my back thanks me.

Last edited:
$50 cause you could build it your self for that and it looks small.

Please tell me where you could get the materials for $50 bucks ...I want to shop there.LOL Price of material are going up as we speak. $425-$475 would be a fair price. I would guess you would have 10-12 hours in labor alone with cutting, assembly and paint. Lets not forget material pick-up(delivery) and layout time. (nobody thinks of this) The only way they can make it worth their while is to do pieces for lets say 10 units. Even when you are skilled at this, the one -ofs take a bit longer to construct. I built my own coop from recycled material on craigslist and the wire cloth and hardware still cost me about $85. My 4' x8' coop took me about 16 hours (layout takes longer when you have only specific material dimensions to work with) and I know what I'm doing. So what is the cost if you dont know how to build it yourself ?? Or go buy some cheap Chinese imported piece of junk and say you got a bargain. You will be looking for another one in a year or 2... Whoever built it did a very nice job and put in some effort on detail.Why do people think that if you didn't buy it at the store it should be cheaper??More effort went into this than he is charging. Why do we charge $3.00 a dozen for eggs, when you can go to the store and buy them for $1? Because they are better ..Same for the guy who built those coops. Buy Local !! Support your local people (and their families) and keep the money in your community.

thumbsup.gif

They want 400.00 for coops like that here also. With delivery I would go for it but... Tell him to add a window to be included in the cost. With out a window it's just a box! Speak to him about the window, tell him it needs to open also. And the screen on the top will let in lots of cold, you might want to block off half that during cold months.

thumbsup.gif
Windows are not cheap, but I do agree it needs more windows.

Tsiecz, good point. Sometimes we forget how much all the little crap we buy really costs. My 4 x 6 coop is costing me about $400... granted I am in too much of a hurry to scroung around for stuff, so it's more expensive. I my area, the oregon coast, it rains 85" a year, so I am trying to put some extra thought into keeping the gals dry and wind free,,,,

No I wouldn't pay $400 for that coop. My husband builds coops for sale and I often attempt to help him. I would want to see more pics of the inside to se how it is built. I would like to see how its getting sheer strength. Im fond of actual framing and not just useing plywood or wall sheer strength. Even if they use just 2x2 framing. I asked my husband and he said with todays cost of materials its probably not to bad of a deal. He said its painted nice and on tiny coops like that wall sheer strength is plenty. He mentioned that the potential for leaking by the hinges on the nesting boxes is pretty good. Here's what he built for my mom. We sold a 4x4 just like for $283 delivered. it was unpainted. One like this we would sell for about $600 its 4x8 uninsulated.

Please tell me where you could get the materials for $50 bucks ...I want to shop there.LOL Price of material are going up as we speak. $425-$475 would be a fair price. I would guess you would have 10-12 hours in labor alone with cutting, assembly and paint. Lets not forget material pick-up(delivery) and layout time. (nobody thinks of this) The only way they can make it worth their while is to do pieces for lets say 10 units. Even when you are skilled at this, the one -ofs take a bit longer to construct. I built my own coop from recycled material on craigslist and the wire cloth and hardware still cost me about $85. My 4' x8' coop took me about 16 hours (layout takes longer when you have only specific material dimensions to work with) and I know what I'm doing. So what is the cost if you dont know how to build it yourself ?? Or go buy some cheap Chinese imported piece of junk and say you got a bargain. You will be looking for another one in a year or 2... Whoever built it did a very nice job and put in some effort on detail.Why do people think that if you didn't buy it at the store it should be cheaper??More effort went into this than he is charging. Why do we charge $3.00 a dozen for eggs, when you can go to the store and buy them for $1? Because they are better ..Same for the guy who built those coops. Buy Local !! Support your local people (and their families) and keep the money in your community.

Thanks tsiecz... I was going to leave bingrancher's post alone. Glad someone spoke up. He obviously doesn't have a clue!

Around here I think you'd pay about $350 for the coop in the o.p.

I just looked at the one a size up from the second coop you posted. (same manufacturer)
They want $875 for it. It's 4X4 but it's got a higher roof,

I built an 4ft x 8ft coop for under $200 which can be seen in my coop album...
that being said I wouldn't pay over $200 for this because it is tiny.

Craigslist is usually a really good source. Large doghouse, chicken coop or small shed. That coop looks to be maybe 4' x6'? It does look to have a nice overhang on the roof. The problem comes in because you are still going to need a run and hardware cloth is expensive so if you can find a coop reasonable you'll have more to spend on the run. Also unless you just want 2 or 3 hens, its not going to be big enough. To get an idea what's out there you could go to the library, chickens are really popular right now and most libraries will have books on coops available. The idea of going to the school or tech center sounds like a good one.

Back
Top Bottom