How much would you sell laying hens for?

tracylhl

Songster
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Myakka City, Florida
I posted on craigslist to sell some eggs and someone asked if I would sell a few birds. My first thought was that I saw this person's ISO add and it said she intended to keep them in cages indoors and my birds have a happier life here so I don't want to sell. My husband asked me to at least find out how much a "fair" price for a 6 m. old laying Barred Rock would be (then he told me to offer her the birds at that price plus a couple bucks to see if she really wanted them badly). I have enough that I could let a couple go but I'm really not looking to get rid of them at this point.

mikenandrea

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Douglas, GA
Well.. I just sold some layers for 5 whole dollars.. Just wanted them gone.. But they should have went for 10.-15. It just depends on the type of bird and your location
smile.png
So I would suggest telling her 20. if she really wants them she would be more than happy to pay 15.-20. for a layer!

briteday

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 16, 2008
Northern Nevada USA
The going rate in our area is the cost of the chikc originally (usually $3) + $1/week that you have raised them. So a 6 month old pullet (24 weeks old) = $27. Highly unlikely that you would get more than $15 for them though, at least in my area. So I try not to keep them longer than 4 months if someone is looking for POL's.

Illia

Crazy for Colors
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Forks, WA
Depends what you call a "laying hen"
wink.png

Most common breed layers are sold for $10-15 around here, but if they're more than just that (spare Marans, Ameraucanas, Araucanas, etc. ) they usually go for $25-35.

Choctaw Valley Farm

Songster
10 Years
Jan 16, 2010
Oklahoma
Well we go to auctions a lot and the Pullets run about 8 to 10 dollars ea and the hens that are laying bring anywhere from 15 to 20 dollars ea. I sold 20 Welsummer hens for $18.00 ea at the same sale, so what is a good price? I guess it depends on the buyer.

But I wouldn't sell to anyone that was going to put them in small cage in the house, That's just wrong.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
This fall, I will be looking for a few more POL hens, in certain breeds. If I find them close to my area(so I don't have to ship or travel too far) and they are healthy calm birds--I would easily pay 20-25$ per bird. If they are young and already laying ---maybe more..

I just don't want to do chicks, heat, brooders, medicated feed, dealing with chick problems and the risk I might end up with a high # of roosters are some of the reasons, I would be willing to pay more..

Last edited:

Akane

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Location dependent. In the middle of farming country where everyone has your standard breeds of hen and the feed store sells out 100s a year I get $10 if they are within a few months of laying to half way through their second year. Younger or older than that or for bantams $5. If they are a less common and desireable breed add $5 but both those have to hold true. It doesn't matter if I have something no one around here has ever heard of it. They won't pay more just because of that.

AZKat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
It depends a lot on where you are, in my area a point of lay pullet or a pullet that has just started laying will fetch anywhere from $15-$20. I'd suggest checking out your local craigslist, to see what the normal price is in your area.

Top Bottom