HOW MUCH???

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by TitiBebbs, Oct 21, 2007.

1. TitiBebbs

TitiBebbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    My girls have begun laying in earnest. We (ds and I) have now 4 dozen chicken and 2 dozen duck eggs to "get rid of". I've begged my students and everone I see for empty egg cartons, but that is slow going, while the eggs are not. We get 5 a day, which may not sound like a lot to most, but for the 2 of us it is way too much. The ducks may have stopped laying temporarily because the 2 girls got hurt in rooster attacks early this week.

I gave away some of the duck eggs and have tried to give away more, but nobody seems to want any. There is a small fruit stand/market in town and he sometimes sells local items. We thought we'd ask if he could sell some of our (brown, pink, and green) eggs, but how much do we sell them for? They range in size and color. but are all very fresh and tasty. I don't know if location plays any part in how much to ask. There is a large poultry business in the town, but they don't do the fresh thing, just package and ship and such.

Also where else might I try to sell fresh eggs?

2. froggy

froggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    dickson,tennessee
    I get anywhere from 1.50 to 2.00 a dozen for fresh farm eggs.but I am in tennessee

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, with regular white eggs going in the grocery stores here for $1.95/dozen, I'd say my $2/dozen is a dang bargain, wouldn't you? Free range eggs sell for over $3/dozen so heck, I may raise my price soon.

4. TitiBebbs

TitiBebbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Thank you for your quick replies. My girls are free-ranged, so I'm thinking $2. - $3.a dozen.

Any idea about the duck eggs?

5. Sabrinainmiss

Sabrinainmiss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    I just saw in Walmart (in Mississippi) yesterday a dozen "organic free range" eggs for $3.99. So I would think $2.00 to $3.00 would be fair.[​IMG]

6. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Price really varies depending on where you are. If you are rural prices are down because so many folks raise their own or know someone who does. If you're in the city you can usually get more for eggs.

I give away eggs every week (right now we average 18+ eggs a day).... people at work, neighbors, family. If you run out of options, you can always scramble up a batch of eggs, shells and all and feed them back to the flock...good protein and calcium for them so it's not a waste.

Julie [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  7. wyldehorses

wyldehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Kentucky
    If you still have duck eggs, try marketing them to some Vietnamese. The nail salon where I get my nails don, is owned by a vietnamese gentleman. When I was complaining about all the duck eggs in the yard, he said bring them to him. Apparently, duck eggs are considered a delicacy. I'm not sure about other orientals, but maybe they are also a delicacy in those groups.

Good Luck,
    Yolonda

8. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Wyldehorses is right. My Nephew raises ducks, and the Vietnamese love duck eggs. What I'm about to tell you next will probably gross you out, as it does me. His customers want him to incubate the duck eggs until about 3 days before they hatch, then abort them. It seems that unborn baby ducks are a delicacy to the Vietnamese. Needless to say, he wouldn't dream of doing it, even though they offered a good price.

9. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    Around here "brown" eggs go for about 2-2.50 a dozen and you can get about 4.00 for your duck eggs. I would follow Wylde as well. Check with you local Chinese rest or nail salon it might help. Good Luck!

10. wyldehorses

wyldehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Kentucky
    Yeah, I knew that they sometimes liked to incubate the duck eggs. It's not a service I provide. I don't think I could watch someone eat an incubated egg.

Yolonda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by