1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how noisy will the chickens get?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by gottsegnet, Mar 19, 2009.

1. gottsegnet

gottsegnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    And I guess specifically how much louder will eight to twelve birds be than four? We just got four chicks for eggs but would like to try raising some for meat. There aren't any laws out where we live, but it is a neighborhood situation and I don't want to bother our neighbors.

I'm just wondering if it will be possible to have a few extras without anyone really noticing noise-wise.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Meat birds don't really make much noise at all. We always got rooster to raise because they get bigger then the hens do and they just started to learn to crow just when it was about time to butcher them anyway. (8-10 weeks) Just get cornish rock hens if you are afraid of the noise. I would get the twelve. It is not going to make any difference. You will enjoy the meat. Best of luck to you!!

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never heard any of my birds crow- cluck a lot, but no crowing.

4. Riparian

Riparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Your egg layers will make lots of noise depending on breed. No roosters = No crowing. Cornish x meatbirds are docile and quiet who bock and cluck now and again.

5. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I have 25 meaties and i don't think they make much noise. I live in suburbia and they are a none issue. Of coarse the will be gone before they crow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by