How often do you bathe your dog?

I don't bath my three herding dogs. I brush them every other day. Towel them off if they get wet going out in the Pacific NW and wipe wet feet before coming in the house.

They don't have a doggy smell.

How often do you bathe your dog?

In the winter, not often enough.

In the summer at least once a week....it just gets so hot here.

Our Bichon gets a bath once a week - she is like a dust mop and that curly hair collects everything. The other three "small" dogs get a bath every other week or so. My cavalier gets pretty stinky and the 2 puppies just get really dirty. My big Newfie mix needs a bath every other day because she smells like rotten fritos most of the time due to skin allergies. But she is very old, afraid of water and difficult to bathe so she goes in about ever 2 weeks. Her skin gets like cradle cap on babies if you have ever seen that...
sickbyc.gif

I rarely, if ever, bath my dogs. I have read in multiple places it really isn't good for their skin or their coats. They usually get a bath if they are new to my home. I don't want to risk fleas. The new pups that I have ever gotten may get extra baths during crate training as they tend to potty in their kennel and well.. gross poo-y is all over them. After that stage, they may get an official bath if they get into something horribly smelly or just a hose off if they get muddy.

Our older GSD Jax has had maybe two baths in the 17 months we have owned him. Kane, his younger brother, got nearly daily baths during mud season. If there's a mudhole anywhere on this farm, Kane will find it and dive in, nose first.
Things have been dry here, so no more baths for awhile. They get daily brushings and weekly ear cleanings.
Neither dog has that nasty dog smell to them, nor do they have bad breath.
Jax is a medium coat. Kane is a long-haired.

Last edited:
Anywhere from twice a day to once a week depending on my laziness & Ellah's smell but she's a hairless dog & washing doesn't hurt her skin at all so I guess she's different. Also we work in a dairy & sleep together so I want her clean!

Not enough probably. I have one that is a peke/shihtzu mix that HAS to go get groomed, he is a mess and has a cuckle burr stuck in his side that is just driving me nuts to get loose and its STUCK. Going to have to cut it out. I use a tea tree oil shampoo that is very good for their skin and coat. Vet told me not to bathe too much though, because it strips their oils and they need those for their coats and can cause skin disorders or make them worse.

Mine are also probably 3-4 times a year. If they get super dirty out running on a trail, they might get a bath more often than that, but for the most part, I only give them baths if they are stinky.

Our older dog, a Lab/Cocker cross with soft, medium-length hair (looks like a Flat-Coat or a thin-coated black Golden Retriever
tongue.png
) rarely needs baths, being black and never getting very smelly. Mostly I just give her baths before my 4-H shows OR if she 'gets into something.'
hmm.png
My own 6-month-old yellow lab, on the other hand, I wash fairly frequently, as his outdoor pen is all dirt and he gets really dusty - or muddy, if it's been raining. He also has a bit more of a smell than our older dog, but that could be just from lying in the dirt, too (our older dog doesn't really like being outside). Or maybe it's just a teenager thing.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom