How often do you clean your waterer?

myback40

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2015
washington state
For those not using nipple or water-cup systems, how often do you clean out the waterer? With the colder weather and busier season, I guess I'm going through a bad attitude period regarding water chores.

Omigosh, I am scrubbing it out every day! So a swish with the hose and refill would be ok 6 days out of 7? Sometimes I detect a smell like my goldfish bowl used to get when I was a kid and didn't clean it. It freaks me out and makes me feel guilty. But maybe a full scrub isn't needed every day? Set me free!

Haha! I can relate! It's a never ending chore! It helps if I think about personally having to drink out of the waterers. If I say "No way" - it's time! There is a good algeacide (copper sulfate) that will make cleaning easier, and is especially made for poultry. As far as practicality, I clean my 5 gallon waterers a couple times a week -very thoroughly- and I do a less thorough cleaning (scrub the tray and partial dump) almost daily. My smaller waterers have to be completely done almost every day.

For those not using nipple or water-cup systems, how often do you clean out the waterer? With the colder weather and busier season, I guess I'm going through a bad attitude period regarding water chores.
I keep the water container on the smaller size so Iam forced to clean and fill every 2 to 4 days.

Back
Top Bottom