How often do you look for an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JulieZ, Jun 25, 2010.

1. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    How often do you walk back to see if you have more eggs? This is all new to me so this past week I've been making 5-10 time a day visits to make sure everyone is okay. Will it settle down to a visit or two or do all of you veterans still make as many trips?

Julie

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

On the weekends, I probably check about 10 times. [​IMG] (Wait, am I a veteran? They've only been laying since February.... but I love finding each egg!)

Weekdays, I only check once, when I get home from work in the evening.

3. crj

crj Songster

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Personally? I check 1 to 2 times a day. My 8 yr old nephew??? every 2 minutes. He says to me, "Auntie, can I see if a chicken made and egg?" How cute is that?

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I gather whenever I am out there. Weekends, I spend a lot of time out there. Work days, 1 or 2, depending on how busy life is.

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Usually just once a day during feeding , now if my 4 yr old is home , hes out there about every ten minutes shooing hens off the nests to see if they layed another....

6. Cocotte

Cocotte Songster

Mar 1, 2010
    One of my girls just started laying this week, so I check several times a day!

7. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I usually only check in the evening when I go out to lock them in. During the day if I'm out and about I check to see if they have laid anything and depending if I'm walking back to the house or not I will leave them there till later.

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    1 - 3x a day.

9. abqferreira

abqferreira In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Our banties just started laying about 2-3 weeks ago, so I check every 2 hours or so![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by