How often does everybody change their litter in their coops?

We have a 4' x 8' coop with a roosting coop that we added white pine shavings, just curious how long folks go before changing out the litter? Our roost coop is dry is dry but does attract flies.

Thanks
Tom
I have 7 hens, bed them on pine sawdust and pick out the coop every day with a kitty litter scoop and a dustpan. It's so hot in the summer, it's much nicer to keep it clean, doesn't attract nearly so many flies. It only takes two minutes.

Deep pine shaving. I rake out the top layer once every few days when it gets gnarly. Perfect garden fertilizer and mulch. I add grass clippings to help the shavings decompose.

Wow. My phone. I’m so sorry. I meant that *they don’t really go in there unless something SPOOKS them.” Removing the poop from under the roosting area every day REALLY has helped with the smell.

We have a 4' x 8' coop with a roosting coop that we added white pine shavings, just curious how long folks go before changing out the litter? Our roost coop is dry is dry but does attract flies.

Thanks
Tom
I only have 4 girls and a small coop with a large run. I clean coop and run every day.

Welcome! I also use DLM but spot clean every 2-3 days, especially under where they sleep on the roosts. Adding fresh bedding which helps it smell good again. Sometimes I take out half of all pine shavings and put new. Just as needed

I do daily cleaning.. sweet PDZ granules and a kitty litter scoop. If I spy an egg size surprise (that is not an egg), I will scoop that anytime of the day! I treat it the same as I would a kitty litter box.... now some homes I got into, I can smell they do not clean after their kitties.. so it is a personal habit.. i prefer not to smell ^&*%.

However, I also clean after my dogs daily too.. but there are pooper scoop services out there for a reason!

Back
Top Bottom