1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How often for a new heat lamp bulb??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by txchickie, Sep 22, 2009.

1. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I've got 18, almost 3 week old chicks out in the coop. They've got a 250w heat lamp out with them and are doing great.

My question is, is changing the heat bulb once per week good enough? I am scared to DEATH that the thing is going to go out during the night and my babies will freeze. It got down to 36 (yes---36 [​IMG] in September in Texas [​IMG]) last night and I got up 3x during the night to check that stupid heat light.

Once a week for a new bulb good? [​IMG] I keep 2 extras as backup all the time.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I understand and appreciate your worries...I just keep backup bulbs around - always. I check late p.m. and early a.m., and I've only had a bulb go out once in the middle of the night - the babies just huddled together until I changed out the bulb early a.m. and they were fine.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Mine has been running just fine all year. For sure no need to change it out every week. I would just do like the above poster said and keep on one on hand and check often. I have never had them burn out before a few months for sure. My current one has been crashed onto the floor several times and bounced around and still running from last fall [​IMG] Just be sure to keep one on hand and let it go till burn out. The chicks will be just fine over a few hours huddled together.

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Don't change every week but I can tell you they won't last that 5000 hours or whatever the package said on it...mine have lasted about 3 months.I have a spare and I can also see the light right from my bedroom window at night so I can tell my babies are fine [​IMG]

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Keep a spare and run a reg. light bulb too. if the heat lamp gos out the reg. bulb will keep it warm enough till you put in a replacement

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by