How often is too often...

I guess I just never thought of worming since it wasn't an immediate issue. Maybe I should look in to it more.

My realization is that I am raising chickens to prevent myself and my family from ingesting chemicals/hormones.......and worms:)

I know that is idealistic, but I am just trying to reduce the chemicals that we do eat....that being said, I think that treating the bird once it shows signs is necessary....Not taking preventive measures is only because I want to reduce chemicals in the healthy eggs.

Seems like a catch 22. No win..........

Mikasgirl, did you worm because you saw symptoms, or just to make sure the chickens stayed healthy? How old were your chickens, and do you worm on a regular basis? I'm still trying to decide...

Hi, I worm my chickens with Piperazine Solution and I was told to do this every change of season.
I had noticed small white things in their poo and asumed this was a type of worm, is this true?

We wormed our chickens because we saw symptoms. This was about 6 months ago so they were around 6 months old. We don't worm on a regular basis. Hope that helps!

Yes I have also seen on here that punkin seed works they said to run it through a blender or food processor so the chickens could eat it easier. But I was also told that it doesn't work !!
idunno.gif

Come on we need help from some of you pro's PLEASE !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have gathered, there are a number of remedies that backyard chicken owners use to help maintain chicken health and prevent worms, but these are not guaranteed to get rid of worms. Pumpkin seeds and food-grade DE are the two most popular.

People with large investments in poultry don't seem to mess around with scientifically untested remedies if they have symptoms, though, and use dewormers like Wazine.

Since a chicken acts like she feels perfectly fine until she drops dead, I would think it is inadvisable to use DE or pumkin seeds if you know your chickens have worms already.

Mikasgirl, thanks for the info. I think I'll wait for now...

I'm not sure about Wazine. My vet said Piperzine was worthless. I do know that down in TX and warmer states you do have to worm more often as it stays warmer there so the worms don't freeze like they do say here in IA. We wormed after a hard freeze, wormed again 3 weeks later. After that the worms were killed through the winter. Did the same thing with the horses and sheep.

Back
Top Bottom