1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old are these chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cackalacky, May 3, 2007.

1. cackalacky

cackalacky New Egg

Apr 30, 2007
    I bought these chicks at the feedstore on April 7, so I've had them for 4 weeks, but they seem to be a bit more feathered out than pictures I've seen of 4 week old chicks. There is the tiniest bit of fuzz on the ends of their feathers around the neck, fuzzy bum-bums but feathers everywhere else.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    What temperature are you keeping them at?

I thought mine were feathering out pretty fast, but then I read that they feather faster in cooler weather. I've been keeping mine around 70* since I got them...

3. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Hmmmm....just a guess...but maybe around 6wks?? We'll see what others think![​IMG]

4. cackalacky

cackalacky New Egg

Apr 30, 2007
    I'm in coastal NC and it's been Africa-hot down here. They were in the brooder at 90-ish for a few days but were staying away from the light so I raised it every couple of hours until they seemed comfortable in most of the brooder. The temp was around 80 when they finally seemed happy. So I kept it there for 2 and a half weeks until I moved them out on Sunday. It's been highs around 90 and lows around 70 since I booted 'em out but they have a heat lamp at night so their coop stays about 10 degrees warmer. So cool weather wouldn't be a factor for early feathering. I'm thinking they were already a bit older when I got them, maybe?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I say 5-6 weeks old, some breeds feather quicker than others too.

6. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    It is possible the feed store had them for a few days prior to your purchase. Add shipping time to that and there's a week for you. Did the chicks have any feathering when you bought them? If so, that info would help to age them.

7. cackalacky

cackalacky New Egg

Apr 30, 2007
    Ummmm..... yeah!

They all had wing feathers... 3-4 rows of them if I recall correctly. [​IMG]

8. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Then I would venture a guess at 2 weeks old when you purchased them. Roughly 6 weeks old looks about right for the photos you posted.

9. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Based on the feathering and the comb they are six to 7 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by