1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old before they feather out?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RitaK, Oct 26, 2013.

1. RitaK

RitaK Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    My ducklings are over 4 weeks old and boy are they getting messy! They are getting feathers but not fully feathered out yet. When can they live outside in their house? I live in CT and it's getting cold at night. Thanks!!

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Just give them straw to burrow down into. 4 weeks is 70'F temperature, right? Hopefully by 6-7 weeks they should be good to go, I'd say. What breed? That sometimes makes a difference.

3. RitaK

RitaK Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    They are Welch Harlequins. Thanks for your help!

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Ooooohh- love WH. I covert WH. :) beautiful birds. When Amiga gets online, hopefully she'll respond too as she is I believe a bit closer to you weather-wise then I am. But it gets cold here too. It's been a long time since I brooded any ducklings, so I might not be your best person to ask. Have you thought about going to your State Thread in the "Where Am I? Where Are You?" Section and sort of polling those folks? Even if they only keep chickens and you only keep ducks, they likely still have much experience to offer if you ask. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by