How Old Before You Set Pine Shavings for Your Coturnix Quail Chicks?

In photo 1 they look a little cold and are crowding each other which will lead to trampling and dead chicks. put some heat on them so they will spread out and move the heat up so you dont cook them alive.

Thanks for the Note birddog. Got it on a Thermostat, with a 75w watt ceramic heater. Photo 1, I had the top off for a while adjusting things inside. Hence group cuddle.

Will move lamp higher as they grow.

Had a near disaster tonight.. Heard them chirping loudly and many of em...

Photos below are latest arrangement, as I had to keep. Tab of two groups ( eggs. From 2 fathers,. Roo)

Blood line. I used small. Rubber bands from my. Daughters hair tie box... Which after a day I noticed they were getting too tight on their legs.. So had to split the brooder in half. To keep them separated. With the heat lamp in the middle of the fence.

Notice the two waterer on either end of the stick? With heat lamp in middle.
0f64b6b9a7e2ff5af7ee7825d3eb829f.jpg

Well when the chick's huddle in a large group... They touch the water which I had at a low level.... So they absorbed alot of the water in the bottle! So I had one group of 39 chick's all soaking wet!! And brooder all fogged up!!

What to do!! They were huddle under the lamp..soaking . Wet... Some were on the side shivering! Some limp...

I quickly moved the lamp totally to the wet side middle section, took out my 200w ceramic bulbs. In 10 mins they were fluffy, dry and cute again. Instead of wet and real ugly...

They now eating and all normal. Hope they will be ok from this.

So I rearranged the waters.

Well away from the lamp... Due to the mass congregation.

b6b1d86d8dab0a9f7b4bdf2084823e23.jpg
6ffc0ead88cca7448f4001edcb3d9288.jpg
278d9f68a5fa5b178e2aca3fb77bdd9f.jpg
04593c3ca563a941f76872f279e5bf26.jpg
3846904dd97bcd82d02a4f65d17d0a98.jpg

And raised the water higher than before.

Wow... Anything can happen! Lesson learnt.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

... Oh yeah and waiting on special leg latex bands for birds/chickens/ etc.. (right size for chicks, and adults) Colour coded... To arrive Monday so I can tag em... And remove the dividers and have one big family group. :)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom