How old do chicks have to be before I can transition from no calcium to calcium included feed

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I have 4 chicks that are about 12 weeks old and they are silkies
20210515_183543.jpg

that is just one of them taken a week ago

I have 4 chicks that are about 12 weeks old and they are silkies View attachment 2701387
that is just one of them taken a week ago
What do you mean by "no calcium to calcium included"? As far as I know all feed as some calcium. If you mean switching from starter/grower to layer, wait until they are laying. Do you have other birds or just these four?

If you have or will have a mixed flock, meaning not exclusively females that have begun laying eggs, you shouldn’t feed layer blend feeds. These blends are best used for chicken raisers that separate their birds by age and genders. They will keep non layers and males separated from layers. Juveniles and males can’t use the excess calcium in layer feeds. It damages their kidneys. If you plan to have a mixed flock feed everyone flock raiser type blends which are the same blends as layer but don’t have extra calcium. Supplement the laying chickens calcium by keeping a full container of oyster shell available at all times. Juveniles and males won’t be interested in it other than a curious nibble or two. Laying birds will instinctively snack on it.

What do you mean by "no calcium to calcium included"? As far as I know all feed as some calcium. If you mean switching from starter/grower to layer, wait until they are laying. Do you have other birds or just these four?
I Have 3 adults 2 hens and 1 roo that gets the layer feed but im transitioning to all flock feed so my rooster doesn't get sick with the calcium

by calcium included feed i mean layer feed that contains a bit more calcium for egg shell hardness

I Have 3 adults 2 hens and 1 roo that gets the layer feed but im transitioning to all flock feed so my rooster doesn't get sick with the calcium

by calcium included feed i mean layer feed that contains a bit more calcium for egg shell hardness
I refer you back to post #7. Just feed all an all flock with OS free choice for the layers.

Back
Top Bottom